• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Overpayment of Benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ariburgos2

What
is the name of your state? Puerto Rico

The benefit was from LTD. I don't owe anything to SS. It is my ex-employer who
is claiming they overpaid me by $8,000, but they are letting me know this after 11 years !

At the time of the disability, I received a lump sum from SS, which my employer now says caused me to be overpaid by my Long Term Disability Insurance. Someone apparently dropped the ball and I am just finding this out now (after I retired from them 4years ago!).

To top it all off, the LTD plan administrator says that had it not been for the overpayment, they would owe me $1,140.00 but the employer says they want that money as part of repayment of the overpayment.....GO FIGURE!

I am totally confused, since I was not made aware of either one of the above situations until now.....please help me!

Last edited:

Dandy Don

Does the letter state calculations of how they arrived at the overpayment figure and an explanation of exactly what happened? If not you need to request that.

If not, then wait to see if they will sue regarding this and if I were you I would consult an attorney to find out whether a statute of limitations applies on this. Can you afford to repay the money if they win a judgement against you?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">