• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Part time back at work/Part time disability and alimony

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tuffbrk

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

Hi. My employer just emailed me indicating that my part time wages are not sufficient to satisfy the wage garnishment for alimony and asked how they should proceed. I replied that I believe that since I am only back part time, and will continue to receive a portion of temporary disability wages, that those wages will also continue to be garnished. I also believe that the most that can be garnished from a paycheck is 65%?

I'm not sure of any of this or how it does work. Can anyone provide any insight?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Hi. My employer just emailed me indicating that my part time wages are not sufficient to satisfy the wage garnishment for alimony and asked how they should proceed. I replied that I believe that since I am only back part time, and will continue to receive a portion of temporary disability wages, that those wages will also continue to be garnished. I also believe that the most that can be garnished from a paycheck is 65%?

I'm not sure of any of this or how it does work. Can anyone provide any insight?
The instructions that come with the wage garnishment are pretty clear. Can't the employer simply pull out his copy and read it?

tuffbrk

The instructions that come with the wage garnishment are pretty clear. Can't the employer simply pull out his copy and read it?
You have a point! It's a small family owned company and I'm the anomaly with paying alimony. It was also the first time they ever had anyone on temporary disability so they weren't aware that they had needed to switch me to Cobra and simply kept me on the existing policy. Apparently I am a learning experience for them - which I must admit is somewaht embarrassing.

I suggested that ADP may be better able to answer their question.

LdiJ

65% is for child support with arrears. I don't think its that high for alimony.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">