• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PPMS-Multiplex sklerosis

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

srbinje123

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Canada-Toronto
Hi,

My sister was diagnosed with Primary Progressive Multiplex Sclerosis at the age of 48, more than 1 year ago. She was working as Programmer Analyst for big company (bank) more than 10 years. She did announce to the coworkers about her diagnosis immediately and it become very visible that she is having problem with walking. She also took it very hard emotionally, so she was seeing hypnotist and Psychiatrist to help herself except the reality. In the mean time she tried her best to continue working without one sick day.
February 25th she was called and given lay off with package of 9 months salary.
Is there any way she can get LTD? She did not expect laid off without any warning. Please let us know if she has any chances to get LTD now.

Many thanks.
Sister

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I guess you missed where it said, US LAW ONLY, didn't you?

We have one, and only one, responder with any knowledge of Canadian law. If I get the opportunity I will point her in your direction but you may want to look for a website on Canadian law as well.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Not off the top of my head. I know there are some, I just don't know offhand what they are. Sorry. :)

eerelations

I'm the Canadian.

While I don't think that your sister can get LTD benefits (and certainly not over the next nine months - LTD benefits are a wage replacement and if she's got nine months' pay then she doesn't have any lost wages to replace - for nine months anyway), I do think that the bank has screwed her regarding severance pay. Has your sister signed a release? If she hasn't, she should see a lawyer right away. In fact, even if she has signed a release, she should see a lawyer right away.

I think the bank owes your sister at least 18 months' pay, given her level of position, her disability, her age, and the economy. She may need a lawyer's help to get her this, and I can recommend one firm - Grosman Grosman & Gale. And no, I don't have any personal connections with this firm, but I have seen their work and I'm impressed + I know their rates aren't too huge. If you want to do your own search for a firm, go ahead, but try not to use either of the two Canadian firms that advertise on this site - I've seen their work too and I'm not impressed.

Finally, try to get your sister in to see a social worker - her doctor can help with arranging this. The social worker is free, and will help your sister access all kinds of free/inexpensive community services for the disabled.

Good luck. Hope this helps.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">