• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pregnancy, California State Employee, SDI/PFL

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

arettinger

California

I am 4 months pregnant, and I just discovered that since my employer is a california public entity they are not subject to SDI (ref: Nonprofit/Exempt Organizations )and as such, have not been withholding contributions from employees for SDI (and PFL).

• Was my employer required to notify me that they were not subject to (and not withholding) SDI? If I had known I would have sought other options before I became pregnant!

• Are there any other options for me to receive supplemental income while on pregnancy leave (private, etc)?

Thank you!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

CourtClerk

At the point that you are already pregnant, probably not. However, had you really read your paycheck stub, you would see no deduction for SDI and that should have given you a clue that you weren't paying into it. I mean, I've worked for public entities since high school, it's no big secret. After you give birth, look into AFLAC or Colonial. They won't cover your pregnancy now, but they are great for later.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">