• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A question about PERJURY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BNWsunshine

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina

I am in fact disabled due to mental illness. I went in front of a Family Court judge due to child support. I explained to him that I can not pay because I am unable to work and was applying for disability. I also said I was unable to work and I could get a Dr's note stating that fact (when I wasn't positive and am still not). Now, I have been thinking about trying to work again. Would it be considered perjury if I stated that I was unable to work, and then turn around and get a job?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina

I am in fact disabled due to mental illness. I went in front of a Family Court judge due to child support. I explained to him that I can not pay because I am unable to work and was applying for disability. I also said I was unable to work and I could get a Dr's note stating that fact (when I wasn't positive and am still not). Now, I have been thinking about trying to work again. Would it be considered perjury if I stated that I was unable to work, and then turn around and get a job?
Was State Child Support involved? If so, and you go back to work, contact them. :cool:

Proserpina

I don't see this as perjury. At the time, you were telling the truth. Correct?

If you do obtain employment, inform those who need to know and go from there.

OHRoadwarrior

You certainly could be charged with perjury. Conviction will likely depend on you getting that doctors note you promised you could get.

Proserpina

You certainly could be charged with perjury. Conviction will likely depend on you getting that doctors note you promised you could get.

At the time, OP felt he could not work due to disability. Afterwards, he reconsidered.

(That, and let's face it - perjury is rarely, rarely prosecuted)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">