• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questions about STD/possible permanent disability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

perleblack

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I have a few questions that no one will adequately answer for me. I have been on STD since end of August '09 due to complications from childbirth. I recently had surgery and now my surgeon's office assistant has told Met Life (who supplies my STD) that I will be ready for work 2 weeks post-op, without having completed my post-op wound check (which is not for another week past that date). I know that I will not be physically able to do the job I am supposed to go back to. I am a restaurant manager, and standing for the majority of each 10 hour day is something that I cannot do in my current condition. My surgeon hedged around the possibility of being able to repair my area of pain, not giving me a direct answer as to whether I will ever be able to be free of the pain. Met Life inquired as to whether I would be leading into a LTD claim, but the office assistant insured them I would be good to go in 2 weeks. I need advice as to how to proceed. I do not want to tell my employer I am able to return to work without first being seen for my post-op appointment. However, since I do not believe I will be able to return to work regardless, how do I address my doctor to insure she put in writing that I am unable to do my job? My employer does not offer positions that do not require standing for long hours, so there are no other options within the company. If I simply do not return, they will hold me responsible for the medical insurance premiums they have paid over the last 6 months. I do not believe I should be liable for these premiums since I truly had every intention of returning to work but find myself physically unable. Would it be best to find another doctor to back up my claims, in the case my current doctor will not? If I am deemed permanently disabled for my particular job, am I entitled to any sort of disability, long term or social security, until I can find suitable employment that I am physically able to do? Any help at all in these areas will be very much appreciated. Thank you for your time.

ElizabethWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
What does your doctor, not his office assistant, say?

Does your employer offer LTD insurance and did you enroll in it?

perleblack

My doctor has not given me a direct answer, which is frustrating. She said, "Sometimes it can take awhile...but I've never had the same problem you have..." I do not know how to get a direct answer!!
Also, yes, my employer does provide LTD insurance, and I am enrolled in it. This is why Met Life had been asking if it were to transition to a LTD case as I am coming up on my 6 month mark for STD next month.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It doesn't matter what the doctor's office assistant says. It only matters what the doctor says. If the doctor does not have a direct answer yet, there's no way we can give you one.

perleblack

Thank you. I will be calling Met Life personally today then, and let them know that my post-op appt isn't until the 1st of Feb, so until I get clearance from my doctor herself, they need to keep me on. I hope it goes smoothly! Thank you again for your help. I will be back if I hit another wall...

hermes77

Ok, this is simple.

MetLife is just trying to determine if a LTD claim i likely. In other words, if your doctor knew for certain that you would not be returning to work, they'd like to start the paper machine up. In short they're actually doing the right thing :eek: or at least it appears so.

No one can know for sure until the upcoming appointment. Just make sure that you talk to your doctor and bring a checklist of all your complaints to the next checkup. I know this because I sometimes forget to ask the doc about things.

Your doctor, not wanting higher malpractice insurance premiums, will probably not make you go back to work if you're not ready. He certainly would be silly to certify you as ready for work if there is any verifiable evidence that you are not healed correctly. ie infection, swelling, etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">