• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Retro claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bobsalas

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OR
I was recently laid off from my job of 12 years as a software technical support representative.

For the past 14 months I have had a persistent cough that can not be diagnosed. I have had chest x-rays, anitbiotics, cat scans, enhalers, nose sprays, allergy test, etc. Everything comes back negative.

My doctor says it might be an unspecific allergy like a mold or pollen and the only way to determine for sure would be to move to drier state and see if the cough goes away.

I am not sure but I think my cough may have contributed to my dismissal.

The cough is persistent. Especially if I talk. Can you imagine what my interviews are like? No one is going to hire me with this cough.

While employed, I paid for a seperate disability insurance through my employer that paid benefits at 2/3 my base salary.

My questions is this: Can I claim a disability using a date while still employed? In that way I could receive the higher benefit amount. Can I even claim a disability based upon this cough?

Thanks

bobsalas

Good point

but I did miss aobut 10 days last year due to this cough.
And even went home once because I started coghing and ended up vomiting all over myself

azskye

Disability

It is certainly possible to begin a period of disability while working. As you indicate, the cough has worsened. You should speak with both your doctor as to what she/he thinks, and then to an employment attorney.

I was still working with my spinal problems, and finally had to quit. You cannot collect disability for the time you were employed, but your problems then certainly can be used to substantiate your condition, and whether you could work with it as it worsens.

Consult both a doctor and attorney who understand disability.

I am not an attorney. But have experienced LTD for 15 yrs.

Good Luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">