• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Savings Bonds

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

1978fan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

My mom has savings bonds and CDs with both of our names on them and has always meant to give them to me but never got around to it. Now she's in a rehabilitation center after a severe diabetic shock and it's looking like the insurance company wants her to be admitted permanently. Now that this is happening, my sister-in-law is saying it's too late for me to take the bonds and that the nursing home will get them.(?!) The bonds have my name on them though ... is she right?!

Any input is appreciated.

ShyCat

Until she is indigent, your mother's assets (including those savings bonds) must pay for her care that is not covered by insurance. Only then will the state's taxpayers continue to foot the bill through Medicaid.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">