• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Short term diability (gone wrong)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

splintner

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota at the time of the issue, now Idaho.

So long story short, I was injured, not work related, went out for ~5 weeks .. short term kicked in after 2 weeks out. Came back to work for about a month, went back out for surgery, was out for another ~5 weeks.

What happened was, the company doing my short term disability fouled up. I had told them, and given them all this information and some where a long the way, they ended up paying it as I was out the entire time. I never told them that I was out, I even talked to them while I was at work! The part that confuses me is that, how did they just pay me and not check with my work that I was out if they were paying me for being out.

So to the point: My understanding this was all still under review, but due to a move to ID, I guess I missed something, and yesterday a collections agency called me demanding payment. I took care of it, but the issue is, the company handling the disability claim are the ones at fault! I provided truthful and complete information, and they payed me. I did cash the checks so I guess in that sense I am at fault, but I did not know when cashing them that it was for payment while I was at work (I received no checks while I was back to work -- but it turned out they were for the time when I was at work, and again for that I should have looked into more)

What do I do now>? Or just let it go and move on? The biggest issue is the burden of the collection agency on me, when I had no idea we were to the point of collections.

Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">