• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Short-term disability debacle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sweetpea9180

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
Good Morning Sir or Madam,

I am writing to you today to see how and where I can get some assistance with a short-term disability insurance company, and remain on the active employee list to ensure the benefits I am enrolled in as time passes at work.

• I am on medical leave and have been since June 22, 2010. My employer tells me that I can be terminated administratively at the 6 month mark, which will be November 22, 2010. If the test results find that I have narcolepsy and any seizures my driver’s license can be revoked and I will need to remain on the long and short-term disability insurance plans at work just to survive.

o Which raises a question about the second short-term disability insurance policy who’s claim form to verify employment, rather being off work at present is combined with the physician’s statement. Subsequently, my health care information was exposed to my supervisor, which I had not told them why I was off, just that I was under medical care. The FLMA documents were handled through the leave of absence department, and has now expired.

• The second short-term disability insurance policy, which I purchased through the bank (Bank of America) in March of 2009. Since, I have needed a claim processed I feel their business practices are or should be considered bad-faith. Unreasonable waiting periods and endless new requirements after another, which has resulted in the delay, rather no payment yet of the claim.
o The Second problem I have with this company is that they violate the patients personal health information, namely mine. Their claim form is a combined one, and I did not think about the possibility of adverse effects until after my employer told me I could be terminated at the 6 month interval. The employer may have such a policy and may have decided that already, but how I am I to know, now that the medical conditions “cat is out of the bag?” I know they can deny it, but the reality if my information has been exposed to people that it should not have during a time that I was very ill and unable to determine at the time. Should insurance companies have to take care of the patients information and due their diligence to determine what is needed for claims as a type of check list, rather than one item at a time that takes 5-7 days each?
o I am still undergoing medical treatment and having to go without some medical treatment, and medicine due to the lack of money to pay for it. I have to pick and choose and I should not have to when I have paid for these types of benefits.
o In comparing the claim and verification forms between the employers short-term disability plan and the one I purchased, the one I purchased does not seem designed for the patients benefit, rather a denial of the claim, and all the while the company is collecting premiums for the policy. Example: the forms cannot be dated prior to the 60 day mark, what a cheesy way to deny a claim. Mine was not this case, but this is not a fair business practice for such a product.
o The 60 day waiting period for short-term benefits is unreasonable and causes emotional and financial harm to the patients, (me, too) and by the time they get through the endless requirements, which patients are not made aware of when a point of contact is made, it takes them 5-7 days to come up with another question or requirement. I am just fed up with calling them every few days to find out the next “thing.”

I need some help, and I don’t know if you can do that or direct me to someone who can help me, but I would greatly appreciate it.

pattytx

We can't read your plan from here.

I can tell you you've already been off work (12 weeks) longer than the law provides for. "Administrative termination" is your company's phrase; it has no meaning in the law.

pattytx

Two totally different issues.

You may or may not have a "case" against the insurance company. We have not read your plan. However, this is not my greatest area of expertise, so check back for further responses.

They can legally terminate you NOW if they wanted to. The receipt (or nonreceipt) of STD benefits does not protect your job; only the FMLA does that, and you 12 weeks of job-protected FMLA leave was exhausted a month ago.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">