• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Short term disability medical premiums

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TSD

Short-term disability medical premiums

Short-term disability medical premiums. My company has always paid short-term disability up to 52 weeks with all benefits, taken out of your check

TSD

Short-term disability medical premiums

Short-term disability medical premiums. My company has always paid short-term disability up to 52 weeks with all medical premiums, benefits, taken out of your check. They now said anyone who is out 26 weeks has to get cobra or other outside insurance. They will continue to pay you disability while you're off but no longer pay your medical premiums. Is this legal? We have union employees and our salaried managers are no union. I have an employee that is been with the company 35 years and she cannot afford to get medical insurance . She was in a terrible car accident and probably will be out a year or more and then it will turn into a long-term disability but she is still responsible for her medical premiums elsewhere . Can they do this? I'm in HR and never received any information that this policy was changing . I have many employees very upset. Thank you!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Your company is required by law to pay the same portion of the health insurance premium as they would normally pay...but only when FMLA is present and only for the duration of FMLA. If FMLA is not involved or if FMLA has expired, they are not/no longer obligated to continue to pay health insurance premiums.

Since the new policy is to continue paying for 26 weeks, that covers FMLA plus an additional 14 weeks and is actually doing more than the law requires.

One thing you might want to check, though. Although the policy is legal on its face, if you haven't changed the plan document you cannot change the policy. I'm not talking about the employee handbook - I'm talking about the health insurance plan document. If they want to change the policy, they have to change the plan document first. If they've done that, then you're all systems go.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">