• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

social security disability backpay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

agalla5

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Delaware
I have been disabled since 2005 and recieving benefits from a private insurance company, Unum. I was just awarded social security diasability this past week. I was given back pay from april 2007 to march 2009, which was sent to me in a lump sum. Do I need to give Umum the entire amount and what will happen if I don't?

carsonius

The same thing happened to me with UNUM and, yes you do have to pay them what you've received from SocSec. Your future monthly benefit from UNUM will be reduced by your monthly SSD amount. (A small bit of good news is that your benefit from UNUM will not be adjusted when you receive cost of living adjustments from SocSec.)

Luckily for me I qualified for SSD shortly after I started collecting on my private UNUM policy so the amount wasn't that large. Whatever the amount is UNUM wants it back within about 15 minutes of when they've made their decision.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">