• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Social Security Disability Payments and Retirement Payments

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

llg871

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA I am receiving social security disability payments. When I left my job I was told I could receive my full retirement payments at age 62 as long as I was approved for social security disability. Can I receive my social security disability payments and my full retirement payments at age 62?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA I am receiving social security disability payments. When I left my job I was told I could receive my full retirement payments at age 62 as long as I was approved for social security disability. Can I receive my social security disability payments and my full retirement payments at age 62?
It's going to be one or the other. No double-dipping.
When you reach full retirement age

If you are receiving Social Security disability benefits, your disability benefits automatically convert to retirement benefits, but the amount remains the same.
http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10153.html#a0=1

llg871

Social Security Disability Payments and Private Pension Payments

It's going to be one or the other. No double-dipping.

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10153.html#a0=1
I worked for a private industry. I will be receiving full private pension retirement payments at age 62. Will I continue to receive my social security disability payments also?

Micheal shawn

Nationally, an average of 8,000 new cases of Long Term Care happen every day. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services reports that 70% ('nearly 3 in 4') Americans age 65+ will need Long Term Care services at some point in their lives. These expenses are not generally covered by Medicare or traditional Health Insurance. They are covered by Long Term Care insurance..
My question is that if some one is not in the position to u know pay for the long term care insurance then what i mean will the govt provide him the proper care and treatment or simply just leave him to his own like the oldies on whom their families don't pay attention and leave them into an assisted living center...

LdiJ

Nationally, an average of 8,000 new cases of Long Term Care happen every day. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services reports that 70% ('nearly 3 in 4') Americans age 65+ will need Long Term Care services at some point in their lives. These expenses are not generally covered by Medicare or traditional Health Insurance. They are covered by Long Term Care insurance..
My question is that if some one is not in the position to u know pay for the long term care insurance then what i mean will the govt provide him the proper care and treatment or simply just leave him to his own like the oldies on whom their families don't pay attention and leave them into an assisted living center...
Please do not hijack someone else's thread. Start your own.

LdiJ

I worked for a private industry. I will be receiving full private pension retirement payments at age 62. Will I continue to receive my social security disability payments also?
You can receive social security retirement benefits and a pension, at the same time. Your disability payments will need to be changed to retirement benefits.

commentator

Wild posting again, aren't you, Michaelshawn? The answer is that very few people are able to pay for long term health care insurance out of pocket. What would happen, IF the person becomes incapable of caring for themselves and in need of long term skilled nursing care (such as a nursing home) they would be allowed a short amount of time there with Medicare paying, allowing that they are transferred there after a hospital stay. If they are not able at this point to go home and be cared for there, then they must begin paying until they have depleted all their assets.

There are very specific rules that apply to what is an asset, what you can do with your assets, whether or not the family home or personal property is an asset that must be used. When they have spent away all their assets, then they would qualify for Medicaid, which is the largest coverer of long term care in the United States at this time.

And no, the qualify of care provided in a skilled nursing facility does not vary according to who is paying for the care. If you are a Medicaid patient, they do not put you on an army cot in a closet and feed you only gruel. Everyone gets the same quality of care.

But assisted living facilities, which are not skilled nursing facilities, are sometimes a good option for seniors with some assets who need more care than they can get at home. One of the problems with long term care insurance policies is that they seldom cover the type of moderate care that seniors may need, and cover no in-home assistance which might keep you out of skilled nursing care. Actually, not as many people are staying long term in skilled nursing home facilities any more. If you become comatose, are required to be hooked to machines and have a very long final illness, you'll probably deplete all your assets and end up on Medicaid in a long term care facility. If you have long term care insurance, it would be used to pay instead of Medicaid. But if you're hit by a bus at the age of 98 without ever having had a health problem, you'll have wasted a huge amount of your assets paying for long term care insurance you never used.

The blurb you begin with is one of those things that they frequently use to scare you into thinking you should be paying for long term health care insurance. But the face of health care is so fluid right now that it is difficult to say how you'll be paying or who will be paying or what types of care your seniors will need in the future.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">