• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

On ssi disability. Anyone know of agencies that help find housing after foreclosure?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

arizonahelp

Illinois. I am on SSI/Disability. I am residing in my mother's home that is being foreclosed on due to her being in assisted living. The court date is this Thursday.

Does anyone know of any agencies that would help me navigate the process of buying a home? I have some cash, but not enough to pay full cash for a home. Houses can be had around here are pretty cheaply. I need help navigating the process and do not handle stress well.

Thanks

Proserpina

Illinois. I am on SSI/Disability. I am residing in my mother's home that is being foreclosed on due to her being in assisted living. The court date is this Thursday.

Does anyone know of any agencies that would help me navigate the process of buying a home? I have some cash, but not enough to pay full cash for a home. Houses can be had around here are pretty cheaply. I need help navigating the process and do not handle stress well.

Thanks

Are you on SSI or SSDI?

commentator

I strongly suspect this is Social Security Disability, not SSI, because the OP says he's got some money. Unless he's got it in a jar under his bed, he wouldn't be allowed to save up any substantial amount of money and keep his income based SSI.

If he's got the money for a downpayment, this should make it easier to get a house. But my question is why? Why not rent and avoid the hassles of home ownership, possible foreclosures in your future. If you are not going to get better, are going to be on a very finite fixed income for the rest of your life, why burden yourself with an ongoing liability of this type? You do know that they cut people off Social Security disability and re-evaluate them regularly every few years, too, regardless of how severe their disability.

Betty

Agree, you might want to consider renting. Houses can require a lot of upkeep & that takes money.

Proserpina

I strongly suspect this is Social Security Disability, not SSI, because the OP says he's got some money. Unless he's got it in a jar under his bed, he wouldn't be allowed to save up any substantial amount of money and keep his income based SSI.

If he's got the money for a downpayment, this should make it easier to get a house. But my question is why? Why not rent and avoid the hassles of home ownership, possible foreclosures in your future. If you are not going to get better, are going to be on a very finite fixed income for the rest of your life, why burden yourself with an ongoing liability of this type? You do know that they cut people off Social Security disability and re-evaluate them regularly every few years, too, regardless of how severe their disability.

That's kind of where I was going, yes. In the other thread, it's really not clear whether OP is getting SSI or SSDI. If it's the former? Well, OP has bigger problems.

But yes, I agree :)

OHRoadwarrior

http://www.hud.gov/local/il/working/ph/index.cfm

This is a link to the Federal Government's administered housing related projects in IL. You will likely qualify, based on income and disability.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">