• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

started thinking

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rabbie64

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
New Jersey/ Pennsylvania

I don’t know If I’m in the right forum. I hope someone can direct me If I’m not
Here is my dilemma: in 2001 I went on disability at my job for herniated discs. I was making about $45,000 gross a year at the time. After a few months on sick leave, I received a letter stating they approved my long-term disability. however if I did not sign an agreement stating to return the benefits paid to me if ever received social security benefits my disability benefits would be cut. I don’t remember signing, ( it’s hard to remember things when you can’t feel your hands and you’re full of pain killers… my marriage was also falling apart ) … but they sent me a copy with my signature on it so I guess I did.
In 2002, I was granted permanent disability and received a letter stating I would be eligible for disability until I retired. At that time, my insurance company hired another company to fast track me into social security disability, which I received with no problem.During this time my ex left.. However, he left me with a $2200 a month mortgage 2 children and large debt. So, when I got the money from social security I paid off bills. When the insurance co. got in touch with me, they wanted the money I received plus the money I received for each child. I told them I spent it and they garnished my disability income from work, about $390 a month and I put it out of my mind
In the meantime I divorced, sold my house In NJ and in 2006, we moved in with my mother in PA (I own her house) she got sick, I became her care giver, my life got very busy and I never thought about it..Until in 2008, I had to get in touch with them for some reason. Then they said my disability from my job was dropped in 2007!! Because I didn’t make a DRs appointment. Never was informed I had one. they said they sent a letter to my new address. however, I never changed my phone number. They gave the debt to a collection company and say I still owe them 45Gs but they would settle for $24,000. Since then I’ve been giving them $200 a month and trying to refinance my home 2 pay them off..
They are starting get very impatient…they called today, I had a conversation with a person who said the money I owed was over payment. When I disagreed she said… well you signed the agreement… which got me thinking.. Should I see an attorney about this???What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">