• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax Implications of LTD Overpayment Reimbursement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cctraveler

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ma
I am currently on LTD that was employer paid. I receive a lump sum each month and pay my own federal and state taxes from there vs having them withhold. I have also applied for SSDI and fully understand that I will be liable to repay the overpayment to LTD carrier if/when I get approved and receive back payment. This will be a lump sum for a few months of 2009, all of 2010 and 2011. In speaking with the claims person at the LTD Insurance co, they expect the whole amount repaid. Since I have already paid taxes on this money, if I send them the full repayment, and have to report this SSDI lump sum on my taxes for Fed and State, how do I prevent double taxation? In speaking with my rep, she said they don't consider taxes so basically I have to pay them and then figure it out. Help? That doesn't make sense so want to have my ducks in a row before this happens?
thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">