• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Terminated on Short Term Disability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lapatta

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

I was terminated by my employer (small company with 15 employees) after 10 weeks. I have been with the company for last 6 years.

Can they do that legally?

Aren't there any State or Federal laws that prevent employers from terminating employees when they are sick?

-Lap

justalayman

are you covered by FMLA

* have worked for that employer for at least 12 months; and
* have worked at least 1,250 hours during the 12 months prior to the start of the FMLA leave; and,
* work at a location where at least 50 employees are employed at the location or within 75 miles of the location.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
He says that there are only 15 employees. So that means no, there are no state or Federal laws that prohibit an employer from terming an employee when they are sick.

Even if FMLA applied, which it does not due to the small size of the employer, the maximum protection you would have would be 12 weeks.

justalayman

He says that there are only 15 employees. So that means no, there are no state or Federal laws that prohibit an employer from terming an employee when they are sick.

Even if FMLA applied, which it does not due to the small size of the employer, the maximum protection you would have would be 12 weeks.

whoops, missed that. :eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">