• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

thinking of filing claim on private disability policy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

7zcata

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MS

I have a private disability policy that I bought 20 years ago. It has an 'own occupation' clause. I'm a pediatrician and although you would have to be pretty disabled to not be able to practice pediatrics, I'm approaching that point. I have Muscular Dystrophy which is a life-long progressive degenerative muscle disorder. I've been using a wheelchair for about 1.5 years now and when I began using it at work my productivity actually increased significantly. Now, however, the MD is progressing to the point that I'm weaker in my arms and shoulders and some essential aspects of the job are becoming increasingly difficult. The nature of these muscle diseases is that progression speeds up over time from a 'linear' progression to an 'exponential' one, so I need to be ready. Right now I can compensate for my physical inabilities so although I notice what things I can and can't do, a casual observer wouldn't notice any effects at all. I can't allow the disease to compromise patient care so I think that I am the best person to decide when it has progressed far enough to leave the occupation. However, if I cut my patient volume to a mere trickle I might NEVER lose the ability to perform the essential physical skills of my specialty - but I wouldn't be economically viable. Where is the line drawn? Who decides? Do I need to get a lawyer to help me navigate through the process? What questions should I ask the attorney to assess whether or not he/she has expertise in this area? Many thanks,

7ZWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">