• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Told we owe over $10,000 in SSDI overpay!!?? Help!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BlueSunGal

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

am so confused about this. My husband is disabled (he has multiple sclerosis) and has been receiving SSDI benefits for almost 10 years. We have only been together for two years and currently receive a family maximum of approx $2000 per month. We have an 18-month-old daughter together.

Anyway....I don't yet know the reason for the overpay but my guess is that it has to do with my husband's 7-month employment with the post office back in 2007-2008. During that time, my husband worked for the post office as a temp and received a base pay that was under the SSDI limit for income. Only problem was that they often asked him to work overtime and he lost track of those extra hours. It was one of those things where he woke up months later realizing he might have screwed up on all of this. My husband is very spacey sometimes and has a terrible memory and is bad with organization and numbers..so this doesn't surprise me. That was one of the first times in ten years he had worked more than a few hours per week and hasn't worked at all since, as his illness worsened. (Just FYI, before our daughter was born, his SSDI pay was about $1300 per month and SSDI says he should lose $1300 per month from our benefits every month until they are paid back and the total is approx $10,600.)

Next factor in this is that when our daughter was born, we applied for more benefits. In the process of this, they investigated all of his past work history and we had to fill out a ton of paperwork. All of the post office work info was included in this info. We even called and spoke to an SSDI rep several times to make sure we didn't screw up by going over an income limit back in 2007. Each time, we were told we were fine because my husband was till within his 9-month trial period...or something like that. Forgot the terminology now. But bottom line is that he was told we had not gone over any limits and everything looked okay. We ended up qualifying for more benefits, due to our daughter, and life went on.

So....now we are freaking out because 95 percent of our monthly income IS SSDI and we are barely surviving on that because my husband is very ill right now.

What if we cannot pay this back??? If my husband was at fault for working more than he was supposed to, are we in trouble here?

Please advise. My husband is too ill to even deal with any of this right now.

Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">