• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployed in So. Cal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CA help

What is the name of your state? CA

I had to quite my job three months ago and move to be closer to my parents (I moved from N.Cal, to So. cal). They needed my help, as they have gotten older. Finding a job has been more difficult than I had thought and its taken me longer. Do I have any chance of collecting unemployment?

Thanks for your help.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What did they say at the unemployment office when you asked them? (Moving to be closer to family that needs your help *may* not disqualify you)

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
This would better have been posted in the employment law forums - I only saw it by chance and it really has nothing to do with the topic of disabilty insurance.

But to answer your question, it is not likely that you will qualify for unemployment since you quit your job for reasons not attributable to your employer. But there is no harm in applying - stranger things have happened, there is no penalty for applying when you do not qualify, and the worst that can happen is that they say no, in which case you're no worse off than you are now.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
This would better have been posted in the employment law forums - I only saw it by chance and it really has nothing to do with the topic of disabilty insurance.

But to answer your question, it is not likely that you will qualify for unemployment since you quit your job for reasons not attributable to your employer. But there is no harm in applying - stranger things have happened, there is no penalty for applying when you do not qualify, and the worst that can happen is that they say no, in which case you're no worse off than you are now.
CBG - an employ CAN quit to move closer to parents and still collect unemployment. The unemployment will not be charged to the employer's account though.

EDIT: Let me be clear - the employee must move in order to provide actual care for a seriously ill parent. Not just "to be closer" - sorry I was a bit vague on that.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
That depends on the state. Not all states accept that as a qualifying reason.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Okay.

Please note that I did not tell him that he would NOT receive benefits, and encouraged him to apply.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">