• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Very confused. Please help me figure this out! Question about overpayment.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eraserhead1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tx
Hello. I am currently going through some crazy stuff with my father. He has been on ltd for a year and a half for mental reasons. He was awarded SSD last Sep. But the thing is that he has been in jail since then[for a incident that happened because of his condition],and he needs a payee because of the mental state he is in and hasent been able to go to the SS office to fill out the necessary paperwork. LTD insurance company said there was nothing stating that he couldnt receive benefits while in jail so they continued payments. Now they sent a letter stating that because he was awarded SSD and still hasn't designated a payee that they will start withholding full payments towards the retroactive back payment that SSD would have given him. The thing is that social security does not pay for any amount of time spent in jail so how can they withhold the payments for time that he was in there? Thanks for any help. I am going crazy trying to get all this sorted out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">