• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are my options with LTD?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Redeemed Life

What is the name of your state: Virginia.

Long story short, I've had a 'bad back' since my teens and when I finally got insurance in my early twenties I was diagnosed with Lumbar Stenosis. Typically Lumbar Stenosis effects 1-2 levels of the spine, while mine was diagnosed on 5 levels of my lower lumbar spine, classifying it as "severe."

After fighting it for years, I had two major spinal surgeries called laminectomies. A laminectomy is when the lamina (the "roof") of the spinal canal is removed, giving what's inside the spinal canal and the dural sac more room to breathe, and in most cases relieving some of the stenosis. After the two surgeries there has been some relief for the past two and a half years, but the symptoms have returned, and it's making it almost impossible to perform my job functions (standing, walking, and lifting for extended periods of time).

We saw an orthopedic doctor, and he's prescribed some MRI's for me to see the extent of the damage, but he says that he cannot do any more spinal surgeries on me, and we'll have to make do with physical therapy and medication.

Now if you're still with me, this bring us to the present, and to my question. After all this time, I have never considered long term disability. I've just planned to 'dealing with it' and just 'working through it.' Sadly it doesn't seem like that's the case anymore. Problem is, I'm scared to say anything to my HR or my boss, because I don't want to be terminated and lose my health benefits.

What are my options right now? How does someone go about learning more about LTD? Can I keep my health benefits for me and my wife?

Thanks everyone...

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The answers to all of your questions depend on your employer's policies and the terms of your LTD policy.

There are NO circumstances, barring a legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA that says otherwise, under which your employer is required by law to hold your job for you for longer than 12 weeks. Most LTD policies do not even kick in before you've been out for 13, or even 26 weeks. ONLY your employer can tell you about what is and is not covered under your specific LTD policy (btw, VA is not one of the five states where an employer is required to provide either STD or LTD policies and VA does not have a state plan - are you certain such a policy exists?); we cannot since we have not read it. Likewise, how long your employer will be willing to hold your job (and thus your health insurance benefits) is something only he can tell you. You WILL be eligible for COBRA, should your benefits end.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">