• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

11 year relationship ending without marrage.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Raceman17

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law) Florida

I was in a relationship for 11 years. I was engaged for the last 4 years of it. I started actually building a house for the two of us around March of 2007. The planning stage lasted about 1 year prior. The house I built was a owner builder house with means that I did a lot of the work myself. Therefore it took all the was up until December of 2008 to finish the project. Our relationship ended in February of 2008. She took the ring off and it was over. Prior to our breakup she had purchased various items for the actual building of the house. These included such items as wood, metals, electrical stuff, gutters. etc.... in other words the stuff she purchased were items that could not be removed from the house and given back to her. I had asked he to keep the receipts so we would have an idea of how much money she had put into it. That was my first mistake. So now since we have been broken up for over a year now, (also the items she purchased were items that were purchased probably 18 to 24 months ago) she is wanting me to pay her the $4000 dollars she put into the house. She still has my $4000 dollar engagement ring I gave her. I do not want the ring and I do not want to pay her. I feel that I should not be required to pay her the money since we were never married. We never officially lived together either. I am not going back to her asking her to repay me all the crap I did for her of the last 11 years either. She is threatening me to take me to court if I don't pay her. She sent me a certified letter that she made out on the computer that said I had 10 days to pay her or else she was going to follow through. Does she have a leg to stand on? What can I do?
Thanks

LdiJ

Yes she may have a leg to stand on. And you can get the ring back as well.
I agree...I have a friend who dealt with that exact situation (in IL) and the judge not only awarded the cost of the materials, but the value of the equity that those materials created.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">