• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

11yrs of Marriage, lived together for 3yrs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cafe1414

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Hi, I was married at 19 and hubby kept me in another country for 5.5 yrs. Came back to the states to live with him for 3 yrs. Am now in grad school, living with parents in NY while he is living in upstate NY by himself for the last 2.5 yrs. Wanted to make the marriage work but he always has some excuse and doesn't want to live with me. He wants me to study instead. Am emotionally distraught. What are the grounds that I can file for divorce and how long will it take?

Thanks

Proserpina

Hi, I was married at 19 and hubby kept me in another country for 5.5 yrs. Came back to the states to live with him for 3 yrs. Am now in grad school, living with parents in NY while he is living in upstate NY by himself for the last 2.5 yrs. Wanted to make the marriage work but he always has some excuse and doesn't want to live with me. He wants me to study instead. Am emotionally distraught. What are the grounds that I can file for divorce and how long will it take?

Thanks
You mention living in another country - are both of you US citizens?

mistoffolees

Thanks
In NY, you could argue cruel and inhuman treatment or perhaps abandonment.

An attorney shouldn't have any problem putting together a filing on the basis of what you described.

No one can predict how long it will take. If you and he agree on all the issues and the court in your county happens to have a reasonable backlog, it might be as short as 6 months or so. OTOH, if you fight over issues and/or if your court is backlogged, it could easily be over a year - or more.

One thing that IS certain - the sooner you get started, the sooner it will be over.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">