• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

13-1/2 yrs. abandoned

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jgudger

What is the name of your state? California
My husband abandoned myself and my two children 13-1/2 yrs ago. The problem, my house is in both our names and I have no way of knowing where he is. I need to be able to sell my house or sign it over to my grown son and need information on what I can do. I have not been able to obtain a divorce, or move on with my life as I am told that he has to be served papers (slightly impossible as no one has been able to get a hint as to where he might be). When he left, he took everything, jewelry, cleaned out the bank account, and never looked back, never contacting myself or my children again, never once worried about how we might survive; and yes left me with all the bills and two mortgages and no job and ill health.

Is there anything I can do about this situation? At best so that I can sign the house over to my son and he can either sell it or live in it as he chooses.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You need to serve by publication or posting after getting permission of the court and proving to the court that due and diligent efforts have been made. You should definitely get an attorney. The court then can order the house sold/transferred.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">