• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

15 years of SEPERATION, now want to file for Divorce, how can I go about it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lovely143

What is the name of your state? NY

My wife and I have been seperated for about 15 years. No legal or written contract, just simply seperated and living seperately. I want to file for divorce, I heard that since we have been seperated for such a long time that it would be very easy. Is that true? Someone please help. Thank you.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? NY

My wife and I have been seperated for about 15 years. No legal or written contract, just simply seperated and living seperately. I want to file for divorce, I heard that since we have been seperated for such a long time that it would be very easy. Is that true? Someone please help. Thank you.
It certainly could be very easy, but that's not guaranteed. It depends on how cooperative your wife will be.

Lovely143

hmm, I heard that I just have to get this one form from an attorney, fill it out and it will be sent to her...is it easy as that?

Janis Clardy

If there are no kids involved, there are no debts and property has already obviously been seperated and agreed upon it should be very simple. Depending on NY laws you should be able to march down to your local court house, ask for a divorce packet ($40 -$100) and anyone with any education at all should be able to fill these out themselves. The part that makes it easy though is getting her to agree with it. Be honest with her, if you aren't enemies maybe fill it out together so there are no surprizes from either of you and take it back to the court house you got it from and file it. I took mine to a lawyer, paid for an hour and had them dot my I's and crossd my T's to make it smooth in court. With any luck you will be divorced within 90 days with no crazy lawyer fees!

Bali Hai

If there are no kids involved, there are no debts and property has already obviously been seperated and agreed upon it should be very simple. Depending on NY laws you should be able to march down to your local court house, ask for a divorce packet ($40 -$100) and anyone with any education at all should be able to fill these out themselves. The part that makes it easy though is getting her to agree with it. Be honest with her, if you aren't enemies maybe fill it out together so there are no surprizes from either of you and take it back to the court house you got it from and file it. I took mine to a lawyer, paid for an hour and had them dot my I's and crossd my T's to make it smooth in court. With any luck you will be divorced within 90 days with no crazy lawyer fees!
This is NOT the way it works in NY.

Bali Hai

After 15 years of separation, it might very well be that easy.
They are going to wait a year upon filing a signed separation agreement for an uncontested divorce in NYS. The judge has no "discretion" in this matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">