• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

18, wanna leave home, parents not letting me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Howdy987

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington.

I'm 18 and want to move in with a friend, but I have been told that my parents will call the police on me if I try to leave. Can they do that? Can they really stop me?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

I'm 18 and want to move in with a friend, but I have been told that my parents will call the police on me if I try to leave. Can they do that? Can they really stop me?
Are you married to your parents?

LdiJ

No, they really cannot stop you from leaving, at 18 you are legally an adult. However, they can make life complicated for you by not letting you take stuff with you, not letting you have legal documents (birth certificate, social security card etc) that might be in their possession and not cooperating with FASFA applications for you to get financial aid for college.

They can CALL the police against you because anybody can call the police for anything, but you cannot be arrested or detained for leaving home since you are a legal adult. Just make sure that you have fully considered everything before taking the step of moving out in a hostile manner.

If things are so bad that you are willing to walk out with nothing but the clothes on your back and whatever is in your pockets then that is one thing...if you are not willing to do that, then its another.

CdwJava

So, do they have a financial conservatorship over you? Do they have ANY legal control over you even as you are now an adult?

If you want to leave just leave. If they try to stop you, call the police on them.

Make 100% sure you are ready because they will be under no obligation to let you back in or help you in any way if things go sour.

LdiJ

No, not under that. They are self appointed, I did not ask them too, I did not want them too. But I have another account that they can't touch so it's all good
I do not believe that you understand what conservatorship is. If their name is on your bank account that would only be because the account was opened when you were a minor, or you allowed them to be on the account.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
O/T meandering thoughts. I have noticed in recent years how many parents are unwilling to untie the apron strings - particularly of their sons. They keep such a tight hold on the reins, that their sons bolt as soon as there is the slightest loosening. How do they expect these young men to learn to build a life with (invariably) Mommy holding tight? One doesn't need to kick them out of the nest, but I would hope one would want them to learn how to fly...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">