• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2 dead beat dads

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MGeis

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I have been separated from my 2nd husband, who adopted my 2 boys, for over a year and I don't know where he is although we do have minimal contact over cell phone. I've been told that I can't get child support unless he is served personally. I would still like to get a divorce but don't make enough money to retain a lawyer and make too much for any kind of legal aid that I know of. I think he is trying to put me off until the boys are 18 (they just turned 16 and 17). They are working after school to help pay the bills and have been dumped by a second father. The first dropped out of sight after my daughter, who would be 14, died of leukemia. I am ashamed that I chose another deadbeat and they have had to suffer so much loss in their lives. I want to be able to do anything I can to help them ease a little of the stress they have had in their lives. Can anyone suggest a resource that would be able to help me?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I have been separated from my 2nd husband, who adopted my 2 boys, for over a year and I don't know where he is although we do have minimal contact over cell phone. I've been told that I can't get child support unless he is served personally. I would still like to get a divorce but don't make enough money to retain a lawyer and make too much for any kind of legal aid that I know of. I think he is trying to put me off until the boys are 18 (they just turned 16 and 17). They are working after school to help pay the bills and have been dumped by a second father. The first dropped out of sight after my daughter, who would be 14, died of leukemia. I am ashamed that I chose another deadbeat and they have had to suffer so much loss in their lives. I want to be able to do anything I can to help them ease a little of the stress they have had in their lives. Can anyone suggest a resource that would be able to help me?
You really need to at least get a consult with a local attorney. You don't necessarily have to hire one, but you need to consult with one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">