• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2 questions about divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

ljt5085

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

1) After you have been served and you get a court date, you go before the judge. Someone told me that if my spouse and I are still living in the same house and have occasional sex that the divorce papers will be thrown out and have to be re-filed. Yes or No?

2) When my spouse and I went to court the 1st time, my spouse told the lawyer that we had separated the bills and were trying to work on the marrige. He then told the judge he wanted to let the date go by and that this whole thing would go away in time. Is this correct? How long before it's dropped off the docket and would need to be re-filed?

This is my 1st post and I hope I did it right.

Thank you

O

over_it_in_va

I dont really know how things work in Louisiana but in Virginia .. If there are no born children of the marriage, the 2 have to be living apart with no sexual relations for 6 months and if there are born children then it is one year so if the 2 agree that this is not the case then your actual seperation will start when one party moves out and no relations occur for that time period. good luck!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">