• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

20 day response period in KY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kybabygirl

What is the name of your state? Ky
I filed a divorce petition in the state of Kentucky. My husband was served the paperwork timely. I understand that he has 20 days to make a response. It has been 31 days with no response. I would like to understand. My attorney now has me filling out the discovery info so that we can request a court date. My question is can my husband now respond? Does the 31 days without a response help me in my case? I am not asking for anything just to dissolve the marriage. I however feel he will ask for money. There is no real estate in question as I owned mortgage free prior to marriage and no children. We both have the same education level - master's degree but he is not working to his full capability.
If he does respond do I listen or can I go directly to the court since he didn't follow procedures?

Any light shed on my case will greatly be appreciated.What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

mistoffolees

I filed a divorce petition in the state of Kentucky. My husband was served the paperwork timely. I understand that he has 20 days to make a response. It has been 31 days with no response. I would like to understand. My attorney now has me filling out the discovery info so that we can request a court date. My question is can my husband now respond? Does the 31 days without a response help me in my case? I am not asking for anything just to dissolve the marriage. I however feel he will ask for money. There is no real estate in question as I owned mortgage free prior to marriage and no children. We both have the same education level - master's degree but he is not working to his full capability.
If he does respond do I listen or can I go directly to the court since he didn't follow procedures?

Any light shed on my case will greatly be appreciated.What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?
On what basis do you expect him to ask for money?

Assets will be split with each of you getting 50% of the marital value. Even if you owned the home free and clear before the marriage, you probably used joint funds to pay taxes, maintain it, etc. Plus, there's the growth in value which he will share in.

How long were you married? If you were married a long time (typically > 10 yrs or so), he may be able to get alimony if you're making more than him (you can't simply equate degree levels since a masters in social work is going to pay far different than a masters in petroleum engineering, for example).

Someone else will have to answer your specific question. Your attorney will presumably file for a default judgment, but I don't know what rights (if any) your ex gives up by missing the response date.

Bali Hai

Well he is only doing what you women do as a tatic to get the court to order alimony!!! What's good for the goose is also good for the gander!!!

kybabygirl

That's real mature. It's wrong no matter who does it, man or woman. I work everyday and I expect my spouse to do the same.

tuffbrk

That's real mature. It's wrong no matter who does it, man or woman. I work everyday and I expect my spouse to do the same.
Yeah well...good luck! Even if the primary reason for divorce is financial irresponsibility of some sort, the state would rather make YOU pay alimony than force the person to work or have them wind up on the welfare rolls...

It is difficult to opine on your situation as you have not provided the most basic detail - length of the marriage.

Bali Hai

Yeah well...good luck! Even if the primary reason for divorce is financial irresponsibility of some sort, the state would rather make YOU pay alimony than force the person to work or have them wind up on the welfare rolls...

It is difficult to opine on your situation as you have not provided the most basic detail - length of the marriage.
Oh stop it!! That's only relevant for men!!

tuffbrk

Oh stop it!! That's only relevant for men!!
LOL! :D You always make me smile!
I don't know. She sounds like me when I first filed - thinking that it's ludicrous for a man to simply choose to stop working, especially after the children are already in their double digits... and being dumb enough to think the courts would force him back to work to pay towards roof expenses.

Oh but let me acknowledge lest someone else comments on it - Then of course he became so "ill" that he could not work. He could only attend dinner at restaurants twice a week, a blues bar once a week, every sporting event hosted in town, multiple pro games, gone to see more movies than I've watched at home, hours spent playing games on the boardwalk, been on 3 vacations...it's just that tiresome responsibility of working that is not do-able for him!!

Bali Hai

LOL! :D You always make me smile!
I don't know. She sounds like me when I first filed - thinking that it's ludicrous for a man to simply choose to stop working, especially after the children are already in their double digits... and being dumb enough to think the courts would force him back to work to pay towards roof expenses.

Oh but let me acknowledge lest someone else comments on it - Then of course he became so "ill" that he could not work. He could only attend dinner at restaurants twice a week, a blues bar once a week, every sporting event hosted in town, multiple pro games, gone to see more movies than I've watched at home, hours spent playing games on the boardwalk, been on 3 vacations...it's just that tiresome responsibility of working that is not do-able for him!!
I still think the court thought he was the wife and mistook someone else as the husband!!

I promise you there will come a day when this alimony (whether it's called spousal support or spousal maintenance, it's STILL illegally alimony!!) BS is severely restricted by the US Supreme Court. I only wish to be around to see the ruling on that day!!

VeronicaLodge

just ignore bali or play with him but do not take his posts seriously ;)

now, if you filed and the response period has ended with no response, i would think you could get a divorce granted by default, ask you lawyer why he/she isnt filing for a default

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
How is it illegal? It was approved by various state legislatures via the required process. That makes it law. The only way it could be illegal is if it were unconstitutional. What part of the constitution do you think it violates?

The fact that you're a bitter old man who hates the fact that the court legally forced him to pay alimony isn't a valid constitutional argument.
Slavery.. the 14th Amendment. An argument could be made. Forcing people to work whilst not seeing the benefit of that work.

LdiJ

How is it illegal? It was approved by various state legislatures via the required process. That makes it law. The only way it could be illegal is if it were unconstitutional. What part of the constitution do you think it violates?

The fact that you're a bitter old man who hates the fact that the court legally forced him to pay alimony isn't a valid constitutional argument.
It is not just the alimony that has Bali so upset, its the property division as well.

He has never actually explained his case here....he just rants.

mistoffolees

Slavery.. the 14th Amendment. An argument could be made. Forcing people to work whilst not seeing the benefit of that work.
That's absurd. By that definition, forcing anyone to work in prison would be slavery. Or forcing anyone to fulfill their time in the military after signing up. Furthermore, it doesn't force anyone to work at all. If you have the money, you can pay alimony without working. No one is forcing you to work - any more than enforcing a car loan forces you to work.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
That's absurd. By that definition, forcing anyone to work in prison would be slavery. Or forcing anyone to fulfill their time in the military after signing up. Furthermore, it doesn't force anyone to work at all. If you have the money, you can pay alimony without working. No one is forcing you to work - any more than enforcing a car loan forces you to work.
Actually those who are working in prison get paid the going rate. As do those in the military. The difference is with alimony they don't get the the benefit of their earnings -- someone who isn't working does.

And it may not be all that absurd. I am sure there are arguments to be made -- I was just tossing one out there.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You two jerks aren't worth my time...OG, you screwed up the amendment!! It's the 13th F-----g amendment!!

Misty, you are just a typical brainless ass that supports the women's movement...screw off!!!
Oh. Well pardon me for the typo. And dangit, calling me a jerk? When did this become your POST?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">