• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

3 issues: Support/taxes, House, and Custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DLB

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

I need advice or ideas for a solution to the issues I am having with my ex. The divorce took place in Minnesota in February of 2010. We have 2 joint children who are minors, and she has 3 children from prior relationships (ages 18, 20, and 32). There are 3 major issues.

The first issue has to do with child support, medical bills, and taxes. The decree states that I am to provide insurance coverage for our joint children, medical expenses are split evenly between me and my ex, and that so long as I am current on child support, I get to claim one of the two children on taxes. I opt to have Minnesota garnish my wages so I am never behind on child support and always have a paper trail to prove it. I have never been late or missed a payment, and I have always provided insurance coverage. The issue is that she also has coverage on the children because she has a family plan to cover her other children so covering our joint children costs her nothing extra. She also takes the children to her insurance's network providers which do not honor my insurance. She then sends the entire pre-insurance bill to me and tells me I have to pay half of the full bill. I have refused because it is my understanding that medical bills are split only after insurance has paid. She refuses to tell me how much insurance has paid or even if it has been remitted to either insurance company. Since I refuse to pay half of the full medical bill, she refuses to sign the form to allow me to claim one of my children on taxes. How should this be dealt with? Should she and I split half of the bill after my insurance has paid, or should it be split after both insurances have paid?

My second issue has to do with the house. Minnesota is a joint property state, so she got the house in the divorce even though the mortgage was only in my name. The agreement at that time was that she had a year to refinance or sell, and that she would be forced to sell if she were ever 2 or months behind on payments. She made every payment 30 days late for about the next year, then she fell behind by 2 months. We went to court, and a judge ordered her to sell. She created one listing on Craigslist for 20% above market value. After that, most payments were 2 or more months late. After another year of this, we went to court again, and she was again ordered to sell. She didn't even bother listing the house this time. After about another year, we were in court again, and she was ordered to sell a 3rd time. Barring the Craigslist listing, she has never made any attempt sell or refinance it, and her attorney told mine that if I force her to sell she will move across the state with my kids. 65 of the last 72 payments have been at least 30 days late. My credit is otherwise excellent. What can I do about this? Can I take the house back? Can I sell it? Can I get any kind of damages for her destroying my credit rating?

The final issue involves custody of the children. My children will turn 12 and 13 this year. Both have expressed a desire to live with me. My ex has always been verbally and emotionally abusive. I have reported issues to CPS in the past, but they were never investigated because “reports from ex-husbands have to be taken with a grain of salt”. Last month she hit my daughter, and my daughter told the school. The school reported it to CPS, and my ex admitted to CPS that she has hit the kids on a few occasions. CPS recommended she seek counselling. She did not. Instead she grounded my daughter for telling her teacher. This last weekend my daughter reported to me that her mother hit her with a "plastic thing". I reported this to CPS, but I don't have much faith in a system that figures dads are probably lying. I know I'll have to go to court to seek a change in custody, but what is the process exactly? Do I need to hire an attorney for my kids? Will they have to testify in front of both parents? Will any kind of custody investigation take place? Should I seek a restraining order because of the physical abuse? My ex is very vindictive, so what should I do if (when) she retaliates?

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

I need advice or ideas for a solution to the issues I am having with my ex. The divorce took place in Minnesota in February of 2010. We have 2 joint children who are minors, and she has 3 children from prior relationships (ages 18, 20, and 32). There are 3 major issues.

The first issue has to do with child support, medical bills, and taxes. The decree states that I am to provide insurance coverage for our joint children, medical expenses are split evenly between me and my ex, and that so long as I am current on child support, I get to claim one of the two children on taxes. I opt to have Minnesota garnish my wages so I am never behind on child support and always have a paper trail to prove it. I have never been late or missed a payment, and I have always provided insurance coverage. The issue is that she also has coverage on the children because she has a family plan to cover her other children so covering our joint children costs her nothing extra. She also takes the children to her insurance's network providers which do not honor my insurance. She then sends the entire pre-insurance bill to me and tells me I have to pay half of the full bill. I have refused because it is my understanding that medical bills are split only after insurance has paid. She refuses to tell me how much insurance has paid or even if it has been remitted to either insurance company. Since I refuse to pay half of the full medical bill, she refuses to sign the form to allow me to claim one of my children on taxes. How should this be dealt with? Should she and I split half of the bill after my insurance has paid, or should it be split after both insurances have paid?
You're right, she's wrong (at least on the insurance matter). You need to go back to court to enforce the tax issue, too.

My second issue has to do with the house. Minnesota is a joint property state, so she got the house in the divorce even though the mortgage was only in my name. The agreement at that time was that she had a year to refinance or sell, and that she would be forced to sell if she were ever 2 or months behind on payments. She made every payment 30 days late for about the next year, then she fell behind by 2 months. We went to court, and a judge ordered her to sell. She created one listing on Craigslist for 20% above market value. After that, most payments were 2 or more months late. After another year of this, we went to court again, and she was again ordered to sell. She didn't even bother listing the house this time. After about another year, we were in court again, and she was ordered to sell a 3rd time. Barring the Craigslist listing, she has never made any attempt sell or refinance it, and her attorney told mine that if I force her to sell she will move across the state with my kids. 65 of the last 72 payments have been at least 30 days late. My credit is otherwise excellent. What can I do about this? Can I take the house back? Can I sell it? Can I get any kind of damages for her destroying my credit rating?
Much will depend on how your order is actually worded.

The final issue involves custody of the children. My children will turn 12 and 13 this year. Both have expressed a desire to live with me. My ex has always been verbally and emotionally abusive. I have reported issues to CPS in the past, but they were never investigated because “reports from ex-husbands have to be taken with a grain of salt”. Last month she hit my daughter, and my daughter told the school. The school reported it to CPS, and my ex admitted to CPS that she has hit the kids on a few occasions. CPS recommended she seek counselling. She did not. Instead she grounded my daughter for telling her teacher. This last weekend my daughter reported to me that her mother hit her with a "plastic thing". I reported this to CPS, but I don't have much faith in a system that figures dads are probably lying. I know I'll have to go to court to seek a change in custody, but what is the process exactly? Do I need to hire an attorney for my kids? Will they have to testify in front of both parents? Will any kind of custody investigation take place? Should I seek a restraining order because of the physical abuse? My ex is very vindictive, so what should I do if (when) she retaliates?

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.
You're going to need a change of circumstances. If Mom is using physical discipline, that's generally acceptable. That CPS haven't seen a reason to remove the child does indicate that she hasn't yet crossed the line.

At this point, you don't have enough to change custody although you can ask the court to modify the order barring both parents from using physical discipline. I don't think you have much chance of that happening though, as it typically boils down to parenting differences and the state is reluctant to micro-manage those decisions. I do think you need to see an attorney anyway however.

DLB

Thanks Proserpina.

I haven't been able to go to court yet because I still owe my attorney about 3 grand. I'm making payments, but the tax refunds I've been hoping for I haven't been getting because she refuses to sign form 8332. She still hasn't sent any medical bills to either me or child support for collection. She's still in the house and still making late payments (by the way, the last court order stated she "must sell or refinance within 30 days"). And the kids still hate living with her. My son is in summer school because he doesn't get help and/or supervision at his mother's. I know he should be old enough to do the homework without guidance, but kids make dumb choices sometimes. It doesn't help that I only see them Wednesdays and every other weekend during the school year, so there's only so much homework I can help him get caught up on. In short, nothing has changed.

Anyhow, the reason I am replying to this post is that I just got my renter's insurance renewal information today. It included a page that stated I was not getting the best rate due to "accounts that are delinquent or not in good standing". I only have one account that has any late payments over the last 7 years: the mortgage on the house that she has been ordered to sell 3 times. My attorney has previously stated that I can only sue her for credit damages if I can prove a monetary amount. I think I may be able to prove a monetary amount (I need to contact the insurance company tomorrow), but it is only going to be a few dollars. My current premium is $155/year. I'm guessing that even their best rate isn't less than half, so my actual monetary damage would be at best like $75 over 4 or 5 years. However, Minnesota law allows for punitive damages if I can show "clear and convincing evidence that the acts of the defendant show deliberate disregard for the rights or safety of others". I would think that disregarding 3 court orders to sell would be pretty convincing evidence? If so, please offer an opinion on a reasonable punitive damage amount to ask for? I know my judgement on an amount is biased because I would ask for every cent of equity in the house plus some extra. I highly doubt I would get it. If the judge thought I was asking an unreasonable amount, would it just get cancelled and I get nothing? Or would he adjust it down to what he thought was reasonable?

I realize that nothing here constitutes legal advice, and any final actions should go through my attorney. He isn't always the most helpful or forthcoming, so anything I can take to him for consideration would be greatly appreciated. (I don't know that he has ever dealt with a high conflict divorce before...shoulda asked, but circumstances at the time dictated getting what I could afford as soon as possible.)

(I did not start out a bitter ex, but the court system has done a fabulous job of making me one.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">