• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

30 paper notice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

teddy_bear30

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
California

I was told that I could put a notice in the paper of divorce and if there was not response it would be granted. My wife left to live in Virginia and I am here with our four children. I do have the divorce papers already signed by her but i cannot afford the 350 dollars it cost to file the paperwork and I dont qualify for the waiver.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Why were you told you could serve by publication? If you know where she is you would have to personally serve her.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
OG - I think you're jumping a step here.

OP hasn't even FILED for divorce yet (he can't afford it).
OP - you can't just put a notice in the paper for 30 days and then, viola, be divorced...you have to file the proper paperwork through the courts.
Save up some money and do it right.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
OG - I think you're jumping a step here.

OP hasn't even FILED for divorce yet (he can't afford it).
OP - you can't just put a notice in the paper for 30 days and then, viola, be divorced...you have to file the proper paperwork through the courts.
Save up some money and do it right.
Missed that. You are correct.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">