• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

4 week divorce / small claims court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lolcats

Hi there, this is a semi complex story, but i'll try and make it quick. Married in CA, lived with her for 4 years, got married a few months ago, ended up filing 4 weeks after marriage. Total wedding cost 60k. I paid about 5-6k worth of it. Right after we got married she told me she was gay and has known so all her life but wanted to try and get married to see if it fixed her.....so shortly after i moved out and filed. I've been letting her live in my condo (paying for it) b/c she has had no where to go, shes moving out this week. Shes constantly threating to sue me b/c as she says we are married and i owe her half of everything i make for years to come, and clearly she doesnt have a chance at anything. So im wondering if i have a shot at small claims court for:

Pre wedding costs (rings, cards, travel)
Rehearsal dinner costs
Cost of living (car insurance, rent, health insurance)
Living expenses while she was with me leading up to the wedding.

I was clearly defrauded into marriage, and she well knew it - I have many emails and stuff from her saying shes known all along shes gay and sorry.....

Do i have a case?

LdiJ

Hi there, this is a semi complex story, but i'll try and make it quick. Married in CA, lived with her for 4 years, got married a few months ago, ended up filing 4 weeks after marriage. Total wedding cost 60k. I paid about 5-6k worth of it. Right after we got married she told me she was gay and has known so all her life but wanted to try and get married to see if it fixed her.....so shortly after i moved out and filed. I've been letting her live in my condo (paying for it) b/c she has had no where to go, shes moving out this week. Shes constantly threating to sue me b/c as she says we are married and i owe her half of everything i make for years to come, and clearly she doesnt have a chance at anything. So im wondering if i have a shot at small claims court for:

Rehearsal dinner costs

I was clearly defrauded into marriage, and she well knew it - I have many emails and stuff from her saying shes known all along shes gay and sorry.....

Do i have a case?
You lived with her for 4 years prior to getting married? Am I understanding you correctly?

No, if you have only been married a few months she has no claim to any of your future earnings.

I think however, that you need to consult an attorney. You are a prime candidate for an annulment (although that might be longer and more drawn out, and possibly more expensive than a divorce)...but the fact that you lived with her for 4 years prior to the marriage is worrisome.

You said that you paid 5-6k of the wedding cost. Who paid the rest of the 60k?

lolcats

I did live with her for about 4 years. Annulments in CA are near impossible, my attorney said don't bother. her parents paid rest of wedding,.

Farfalla

She’s delusional if she thinks you owe her half of everything for years to come. You have not been married long enough for her to get alimony. After four weeks you don’t have much joint property either do you?
]
Rehearsal dinner costs

Do i have a case?
This is an unusual case. Have you asked your attorney if it would make sense to claim that you were defrauded in your divorce and ask that the judge award you the amount you spent on the wedding?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">