• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

401k disbursement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scottie

State I reside in: Virginia

How long does a former spouse have to set up an account to take half a 401k from divorce settlement? The divorce has been final for over 6 months and after being reminded at the entering of the final decree, it has still not been done. I would like to take my half and put it somewhere else and know at what point it all belongs to me. I realize it has not been long enough yet, but does anyone know how long I have to wait?

Thank you.

Last edited:

LdiJ

scottie said:
State I reside in: Virginia

How long does a former spouse have to set up an account to take half a 401k from divorce settlement? The divorce has been final for over 6 months and after being reminded at the entering of the final decree, it has still not been done. I would like to take my half and put it somewhere else and know at what point it all belongs to me. I realize it has not been long enough yet, but does anyone know how long I have to wait?

Thank you.
Its not really a question of "setting up an account". Its a question of dividing the funds via a QDRO. One of the attorneys was ordered to handle that...so whichever one was, should be handling it.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Unless established by state law, which is unlikely since 401k's are administered under Federal law, I don't believe there is a specific time frame required under the law.

scottie

The other attorney was ordered to set it up. I am not trying to be dishonest just figure out how long I have to wait before removing the funds that do belong to me and if there is a time limit for it to be done. I can imagine 3 years from now it will still be the same.

scottie

ok, i did a bit more research, The real question I am asking is there a statue of limitations on setting up the QDRO? That has not even been done yet.

Thank you.

Bali Hai

scottie said:
ok, i did a bit more research, The real question I am asking is there a statue of limitations on setting up the QDRO? That has not even been done yet.

Thank you.
No. It's the same as any judgement. Usually the attorney of the party with the 401k that is to be split DOES NOT draft the QDRO.

It is usually ordered that the receiving party's attorney does this at no cost.

That way if you are the receiving party, you can hound your attorney until it gets done.

Now you have to ask your attorney to hound the other attorney or complain to the court or both.

Bali Hai

scottie said:
Then can I take my portion of the 401K out and put it elsewhere and leave the other half there?
The 401k will be split per the QDRO into seperate accounts. The account administrator will inform you when this happens or is about to happen.

You have no control over the account in that regard.

What do you mean, "leave" the other half there???

scottie

What I mean is that I would like to take my half of the 401k and invest it into a more agressive fund. I have no interest in touching the other half. I would however like this taken care of as it is one more string I do not want hanging out there.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Then ask your attorney to check into it. As I said, there is no mandated SOL on the QDRO.

Bali Hai

scottie said:
What I mean is that I would like to take my half of the 401k and invest it into a more agressive fund. I have no interest in touching the other half. I would however like this taken care of as it is one more string I do not want hanging out there.
You are bound by the same 401k rules as the participant. If the account is self-directed" you can probably invest in a more aggressive fund, if it is offered.

You can't "touch" the other half anyway, so why even make that statement??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">