• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

401K division?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Torakki

What is the name of your state? California.
What is the legel way a 401K should be divided after divorce? For example: If a 401K has $50K at the time of marriage and over the course of the marriage, increases to $100k, is the non-working spouse in title to half of the $50K increase being that the increase happened based on monies earned before marrige? Or should the 401K be considered $0.0 at time of marrage and any increase with contributions would be split 50/50? In other words, gaining 10% a year on $50K is a lot more then 10% on a new 401k.
Thanks for your help.What is the name of your state?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? California.
What is the legel way a 401K should be divided after divorce? For example: If a 401K has $50K at the time of marriage and over the course of the marriage, increases to $100k, is the non-working spouse in title to half of the $50K increase being that the increase happened based on monies earned before marrige? Or should the 401K be considered $0.0 at time of marrage and any increase with contributions would be split 50/50? In other words, gaining 10% a year on $50K is a lot more then 10% on a new 401k.
Thanks for your help.What is the name of your state?
The 401k would be divided based on the amount that accrued during the marriage.

So, if the account was 50k when the marriage occurred, and 100k when the marriage ended, then the amount that would be split would be 50k.

georgenia

First may i say ALOHA to the board. I live in hawaii this is my first post so please forgive me. can anyone tell me how i may start a new thread? i am having an issue with thrift savings plan and in need of some advise of suport. i am now a single woman with no real means of suporting myself. thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">