• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

401K division issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sittinpretty

What is the name of your state? MI
My divorce is final. I was awarded half of my ex's 401k and 457 benefits. My atty, his atty, and the guy I hired to do the split, don't seem to know whether I am to receive 1/2 of the total balance, or half of the amount that accumulated while we were married. My divorce decree reads as follows: IT IS FURTHER ORDERED AND ADJUDGED THAT PLAINTIFF'S EMPLOYER PROVIDED 401K AND 457 PLAN INTERESTS, WHICH ACCRUED DURING THE MARRIAGE, SHALL BE EQUALLY DIVIDED AS OF THE DATE OF THIS JUDGEMENT. My atty say that "accrued during the marriage" is used as a grammatical modifier and is only meant to describe the fact that the funds were saved during our marriage. Is there a specific law that governs this language?

nextwife

MY understanding is that half of the MARITAL ASSETS are split. The account amount before the marriage is a premarital asset. Whatever you or he stashed away in your respective accounts before the marriage should not be subject to division.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">