• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

5 years later

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

christyp

What is the name of your state? Virginia

My divorce was final in 2000. My divorce papers state that when our house is paid for (we kept it titled in both names, will be paid for in 2010.) that my exhusband is to remove his name from the title to the house. I am to be the sole owner. NOW he says he has changed his mind and wants to remove BOTH our names and name our two children as the owners. They will be 15 and 19 at that time. Does he have a chance at getting his way if he tries to take me to court? It seems ridiculous to me that any judge would even CONSIDER allowing this to happen.

LdiJ

christyp said:
What is the name of your state? Virginia

My divorce was final in 2000. My divorce papers state that when our house is paid for (we kept it titled in both names, will be paid for in 2010.) that my exhusband is to remove his name from the title to the house. I am to be the sole owner. NOW he says he has changed his mind and wants to remove BOTH our names and name our two children as the owners. They will be 15 and 19 at that time. Does he have a chance at getting his way if he tries to take me to court? It seems ridiculous to me that any judge would even CONSIDER allowing this to happen.
He can't change the agreement after the fact. You were to be given ownership of the house as part of the overall settlement. Changing it now would change the entire settlement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">