• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

9 yr. Separation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Russell777

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I've been was married 9 years, then my wife and I separated on good terms in Seattle. She moved back to Toronto Canada. I have since lived in Las Vegas, Portland, OR, Chicago and now Virginia. We have been Separated almost 9 years and I haven't seen her since. Is there any kind of Law where if you are apart that long w/o intending to get back together, your marriage desolves and you are for all practical purposes divorced?

Do I need a legal divorce? would I have to serve my wife in Cananda w/ the papers? I'm not sure where she is? Can I just get the divorce without her. Can I back date the divorce?

I put her through school and I hear that she has done quite well using that education. Can I ask for the money I spent putting her through school be paid back?

thanks

kat1963

If you lived in VA now for 6 months you can file for divorce here. Yes, you have to have a divorce order from the court in order to terminate your legal marriage contract with her. If you were to die, she would be legally entitled to inherit a portion of your estate, social security, retirement, also lottery winning, possible any home equity ect. you really need to get this done. Without children it can be done deal within 6 months. It would be easier to find her however (maybe she divoced you already?), then to have to go thru posting it in the newspaper. She can probably be served by cert mail or you can have whatever Canada has available to serve her, for a fee I'm sure. It would take a special kind of judge to award you anything after 9 years as far as her income from the education you provided to her is concerned.
Most lawyers provide free or low cost consultations, you really want to get the ball rolling on this!
KAT

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">