• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lindseyjo5656

What is the name of your state? Tulsa, Oklahoma

I got married July 28th and I had to get a divorce from my live in boyfriend that I had added to my insurance at work. I got the divorce September 3, 2007 after my wedding date. Do I need to remarry my current husband? No one told me I was considered common law? Please help.

Silverplum

I got married July 28th and I had to get a divorce from my live in boyfriend that I had added to my insurance at work. I got the divorce September 3, 2007 after my wedding date. Do I need to remarry my current husband? No one told me I was considered common law? Please help.
Well, what did you expect?? You were living together, you put him on your insurance through your work...

Yes, you'd need to remarry. Things need to happen in chronological order.

LdiJ

Well, what did you expect?? You were living together, you put him on your insurance through your work...

Yes, you'd need to remarry. Things need to happen in chronological order.
Being on someone's insurance at work is not enough to establish a common law marriage, even if you are living together. Many companies these days offer insurance to domestic partners.

SHORTY LONG

:confused:
I am confused which these days is easy to do. That is she married July 28 xxxx and
had to get a divorce from her live in boyfriend that she added to her insurance at work.
Her divorce was September 03, 2007. Is her boyfriend her current ex-husband that she
is speaking of in regards to remarrying him?

I am not well versed on the laws of Oklahoma, so i do have a question for you;

Is bigamy even legal in Oklahoma?

De iure

She has an even bigger problem , there's a 6 month waiting period before a divorced person can marry again in Oklahoma ( marriages performed out of state are legal though .) .

Bali Hai

She has an even bigger problem , there's a 6 month waiting period before a divorced person can marry again in Oklahoma ( marriages performed out of state are legal though .) .
I thought Oral Roberts had that statute vacated the last time he went up into the prayer tower...

majomom1

I am confused which these days is easy to do. That is she married July 28 xxxx and
had to get a divorce from her live in boyfriend that she added to her insurance at work.
Her divorce was September 03, 2007. Is her boyfriend her current ex-husband that she
is speaking of in regards to remarrying him?
I think I have this correct.

She married current husband on July 28, 2007, (?)

then found out she had to divorce ex boyfriend (unknown common law marriage)

that was final September 3, 2007.

Was this the fastest divorce in town or what?

majomom1

awwwwwhhhhh .... yer gonna mess up my class on which states have common law marriages!!
So sorry Ginny... but actually I think OK messed it up. :)

Based on some of these common law rules, I wonder how many people are married and don't even know it!!

LdiJ

So sorry Ginny... but actually I think OK messed it up. :)

Based on some of these common law rules, I wonder how many people are married and don't even know it!!
One criteria for a common law marriage is the "intent" to be married. It would be a bit difficult for someone not to at least suspect that they had a common law marriage.

I think its more likely that people would think that they were common law, when they were not.

SHORTY LONG

I think I have this correct.

She married current husband on July 28, 2007, (?)

then found out she had to divorce ex boyfriend (unknown common law marriage)

that was final September 3, 2007.

Was this the fastest divorce in town or what?
Thank you majomom1 for making this clearer; duh me.:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">