• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Abandoned for 10+ years!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

karamac

New York State

My fiance married a woman in 1995. She disappeared soon after (turns out she just wanted her green card!) and he has not seen or heard from her since and does not know where she is (he does have her SS#). Because she has been gone for over 10 years, does this classify the marriage as invalid?? If we get married (I am Canadian) will my marriage to him be void because of this??

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
karamac said:
New York State

My fiance married a woman in 1995. She disappeared soon after (turns out she just wanted her green card!) and he has not seen or heard from her since and does not know where she is (he does have her SS#). Because she has been gone for over 10 years, does this classify the marriage as invalid?? If we get married (I am Canadian) will my marriage to him be void because of this??
He NEEDS a divorce. And you cannot marry him until he obtains one.

LdiJ

Ohiogal said:
He NEEDS a divorce. And you cannot marry him until he obtains one.
However, with an attorney he can easily divorce her even if she can't be located.

karamac

If we find her using her SS# it should not be hard for him to get a divorce from her...

However, getting a divorce using the claim of abandonment, is it POSSIBLE for him to do this without a lawyer?? Neither he nor I (I am a student) have the money to hire a lawyer for a divorce. Can this not be done by simply following the steps (ie: doing a search for her, posting the supbena in the paper, etc. etc. at the instruction of ajudge) necessary??

LdiJ

karamac said:
If we find her using her SS# it should not be hard for him to get a divorce from her...

However, getting a divorce using the claim of abandonment, is it POSSIBLE for him to do this without a lawyer?? Neither he nor I (I am a student) have the money to hire a lawyer for a divorce. Can this not be done by simply following the steps (ie: doing a search for her, posting the supbena in the paper, etc. etc. at the instruction of ajudge) necessary??
Its very difficult to do without an attorney. It can even be difficult to get the permission to serve someone by publication without an attorney.

He should at least go get a consult with one.

karamac

How much should he expect this to cost if he does get a lawyer??
Also, how do we go about finding a lawyer just to consult with?

LdiJ

karamac said:
How much should he expect this to cost if he does get a lawyer??
Also, how do we go about finding a lawyer just to consult with?
Open the yellow pages and look for divorce lawyers. Some may even say "free consults" in their ads. You don't need the best lawyer in town to accomplish this. Its going to be a matter of paperwork only.

The lawyer will tell you how much it is going to cost.

karamac

So, just for the sake of conversation...

What would happen if he didn't get a divorce and we got married??

AHA

karamac said:

Then your marriage would not be valid and you would have wasted time and money on a wedding that in theory will never count. He would also have committed bigamy knowing full well that he is still married to someone else.
Why would you want to do such a stupid thing?

nextwife

OMG! He stayed married all these years she was missing?

Does he realize that any child she may have created during this time is legally HIS? That if she was collecting welfare for any or all of the children she had, the states can come after HIM to pay them back? That she can file for, and be granted, a child support order? HE could suddenly find himself in debt for tens of thousands of dollars in back CS?

Did he file any legal seperation? Did he do ANYTHING?

LdiJ

karamac said:

Then your marriage would be illegal and he would be guilty of the crime of bigamy. It would be a really dumb move.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">