• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Abandoned?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kindylou821

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Hawaii

I plan on filing for divorce in the very near future.

But prior to this I have been attempting to contact my husband to work out some things so that I may file on-line as I can't afford a lawyer. We have a rental and a condo (which he lives in and can keep). The rental was just turned down for a loan mod so I don;t know where to go with that right now. Basically I want him to refin in his name, sign his 13 year old car which I maintain as he left it here with me many months ago. And repay me some funds he borrowed.

The problem I feel he has decided to disregard any and all contact from me, I call, I mail letters and nothing!! I don't know if he's even alive.. He need to settle matters and he refuses all contact..Therefore he makes this situation far worst as we can't settle anything and even if I hire a lawyer I feel sure he will not bother with him either. I will waste money I don't have and trying to settle a few things which we could do so easy but he won't help.

We where do I go from here? what are my options? I see where I can still file on-line and write some things into it and of his does not follow the final court order he will be in violation etc.

Does his lack of contact fall under abandonment? or is he just a loser??

Thanks and Aloha

mistoffolees

Whether it's abandonment or not, you still need to serve him - either directly or via publication. The latter is not something you want to do on your own.

I would suggest that you at least talk with an attorney. If you search around, you may find one who will give the first consultation free. Or see if there is legal aid in your area.

If you retain an attorney and your husband does not respond, then you will likely win a default judgment - which might be significantly better than what you're looking at. Basically, there are two scenarios. First, if you get a response from your husband after the attorney serves him, then you're back on track and can negotiate the terms you want. If your husband never responds, a default, uncontested divorce (even one done by publication) won't typically be anywhere near as expensive as if you have a contested divorce.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">