• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Abandonment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pookeybug2235

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

Back in Feb. my husband decided he no longer wanted to be with me. So he left and left me the house. The only problem is I can't really afford it but I had no choice but to keep he. He told me either we foreclose on the house or I find a roommate. He makes a lot more money than me and could easily afford the keep the house but he chose to walk away. What rights do I have in this matter? We don't have kids and I can't sell the house, not in this economy. Sadly, even if I did sell I have no where else to go. Can I file an abandonment charge? Will alimony be possible? If so, where is the best place to go?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

Back in Feb. my husband decided he no longer wanted to be with me. So he left and left me the house. The only problem is I can't really afford it but I had no choice but to keep he. He told me either we foreclose on the house or I find a roommate. He makes a lot more money than me and could easily afford the keep the house but he chose to walk away. What rights do I have in this matter? We don't have kids and I can't sell the house, not in this economy. Sadly, even if I did sell I have no where else to go. Can I file an abandonment charge? Will alimony be possible? If so, where is the best place to go?
Do you work? What do you earn? What does he earn? Did you apply for a job? Abandonment charge? He didn't abandon you. He decided he didn't want to be with you. get a roommate if you have to do so. Are you on the mortgage and/or title? If so time to consider putting it up for sale. Also consider getting a (better) job.

mistoffolees

Do you work? What do you earn? What does he earn? Did you apply for a job? Abandonment charge? He didn't abandon you. He decided he didn't want to be with you. get a roommate if you have to do so. Are you on the mortgage and/or title? If so time to consider putting it up for sale. Also consider getting a (better) job.
Also, how long were they married - that will be one of the larger factors in determining whether she gets alimony.

Frankly, though, she should consider selling the house - even if she can't get what it's worth. She may be better off in the long run to sell the house and move into an apartment or buy a house that she CAN afford. There aren't enough details provided to really know.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">