• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Abandonment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wmssister

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

My husband (soon to be ex) and I are going through a divorce. He moved out of the house into an apartment two years ago because we were going through counseling. Obviously it did not work. He is still paying the mortgage for the home I still live in along with the other household bills. Is it considered abandonment? My attorney said we could add abandonment to the divorce proceedings but i don't understand how it is abandonment,What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

My husband (soon to be ex) and I are going through a divorce. He moved out of the house into an apartment two years ago because we were going through counseling. Obviously it did not work. He is still paying the mortgage for the home I still live in along with the other household bills. Is it considered abandonment? My attorney said we could add abandonment to the divorce proceedings but i don't understand how it is abandonment,What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Did you ask your attorney why on earth he would think that your husband abandoned you if he is still paying the bills:confused:

mistoffolees

Did you ask your attorney why on earth he would think that your husband abandoned you if he is still paying the bills:confused:
And then ask the attorney why the heck it matters. They can get a no-fault divorce on the basis of irreconcilable differences. Furthermore, since he moved out 2 years ago, they can use the 2 year separation grounds. Even if it were abandonment, it's not clear what that would add - other than turning a no-fault divorce into a contested fault divorce which would simply increase attorney's fees for everyone.

Maybe I answered my own question.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">