• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Abandonment in CA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CA_Artist

undefinedWhat is the name of your state? CA

Just in December my husband of 7 years left me without any warning to move to a different state to be with his online girlfriend. He left everything he owned here. The only reason I know at all what happened is that he contacted me via instant messanger. He spoke with me one time over the internet and that has been our only contact tho I have repeatedly asked for information on how he wanted to go about handling his belongings. I have no way to contact him, and I have no information on where he is besides the fact that he is in Minnesota.

I don't want a reconciliation... If he is going to behave this way she may have all the joy of it to herself. I am curious about how to go about handling the divorce. I have no income as he was the "Breadwinner", and I am living with my family till I can find employment. I have one child whom tho he had helped me to raise my son from the time my boy was 1 1/2 years old he isn't the father of. Can I declare abandoment? And is there a way to obtain a divorce even tho I have no way to serve him the papers? I don't even know where in Minnesota he is. Do I have to wait and stay married to him till he contacts me? I'd really rather not, I'd like to move on with my life thank you very much. ;)
Any help is very much apreciated. Thank you all in advance.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

CA_Artist said:
undefinedWhat is the name of your state? CA

Just in December my husband of 7 years left me without any warning to move to a different state to be with his online girlfriend. He left everything he owned here. The only reason I know at all what happened is that he contacted me via instant messanger. He spoke with me one time over the internet and that has been our only contact tho I have repeatedly asked for information on how he wanted to go about handling his belongings. I have no way to contact him, and I have no information on where he is besides the fact that he is in Minnesota.

I don't want a reconciliation... If he is going to behave this way she may have all the joy of it to herself. I am curious about how to go about handling the divorce. I have no income as he was the "Breadwinner", and I am living with my family till I can find employment. I have one child whom tho he had helped me to raise my son from the time my boy was 1 1/2 years old he isn't the father of. Can I declare abandoment? And is there a way to obtain a divorce even tho I have no way to serve him the papers? I don't even know where in Minnesota he is. Do I have to wait and stay married to him till he contacts me? I'd really rather not, I'd like to move on with my life thank you very much. ;)
Any help is very much apreciated. Thank you all in advance.

My response:

Dissolution is easy. Irreconcilable Differences are your grounds. You don't need to know where he's residing. See a local Family Law attorney to get the ball rolling.

IAAL

CA_Artist

Just an update: Everything is in motion and it shouldn't be long at all before this issue is settled. As for my lack of income I am happy to report I've gotten a dream job offer working as a 3D graphic artist. Although the job is in London I'm looking really foreward to the move. Life is good. :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">