• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

abandonment of a disabled spouse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

krylonian

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

My mother left my step dad in the middle of the night. Leaving him in a house with only her name on the mortgage, all the bills in her name, and his is mentally disabled. We have taken the steps to remove her as the representative payee for his disability benefits. However he can not afford to live in the house. After looking into the finances she is delinquent on the property taxes as well as behind on several bills.

She is over 2000 miles away. She will not speak to her husband. She has stated she wants a divorce. She is leaving it up to me to help get the divorce procedure started. I need help to understand the best course of action to help someone who isn't capable of making independent decisions.

Just Blue

My mother left my step dad in the middle of the night. Leaving him in a house with only her name on the mortgage, all the bills in her name, and his is mentally disabled. We have taken the steps to remove her as the representative payee for his disability benefits. However he can not afford to live in the house. After looking into the finances she is delinquent on the property taxes as well as behind on several bills.

She is over 2000 miles away. She will not speak to her husband. She has stated she wants a divorce. She is leaving it up to me to help get the divorce procedure started. I need help to understand the best course of action to help someone who isn't capable of making independent decisions.
How charming. How proud you must be to be this womans child!!:(

mistoffolees

Unfortunately, YOU can not start the divorce. Only your mother or stepdad can do that. If he is incompetent, then his guardian can probably get it started. So you will probably have to start by figuring out how to get a guardian appointed for him.

Alternatively, you can go to your county courthouse and see if they have a divorce packet and mail it to your mother.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">