+ Reply to Thread
    krylonian is offline Junior Member

abandonment of a disabled spouse

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

My mother left my step dad in the middle of the night. Leaving him in a house with only her name on the mortgage, all the bills in her name, and his is mentally disabled. We have taken the steps to remove her as the representative payee for his disability benefits. However he can not afford to live in the house. After looking into the finances she is delinquent on the property taxes as well as behind on several bills.

She is over 2000 miles away. She will not speak to her husband. She has stated she wants a divorce. She is leaving it up to me to help get the divorce procedure started. I need help to understand the best course of action to help someone who isn't capable of making independent decisions.
    PQN
    PQN is offline Member
    Did she have guardianship of him? Has a court found him mentally incompetent?
    Blue Meanie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krylonian View Post

My mother left my step dad in the middle of the night. Leaving him in a house with only her name on the mortgage, all the bills in her name, and his is mentally disabled. We have taken the steps to remove her as the representative payee for his disability benefits. However he can not afford to live in the house. After looking into the finances she is delinquent on the property taxes as well as behind on several bills.

She is over 2000 miles away. She will not speak to her husband. She has stated she wants a divorce. She is leaving it up to me to help get the divorce procedure started. I need help to understand the best course of action to help someone who isn't capable of making independent decisions.
    How charming. How proud you must be to be this womans child!!
    mistoffolees is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krylonian View Post

Unfortunately, YOU can not start the divorce. Only your mother or stepdad can do that. If he is incompetent, then his guardian can probably get it started. So you will probably have to start by figuring out how to get a guardian appointed for him.

Alternatively, you can go to your county courthouse and see if they have a divorce packet and mail it to your mother.