• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Able to use ex-husbands last name?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

harley2b

What is the name of your state? Virginia
I want to know if my ex-wife can change her last name back to my name? We have been divorced for 10 years now and she has been re-married for those 10 years. She has recently divorced this other man and is changing her last name back to mine. I am re-married (happily) but I don't want her to be able to use my last name again. She says she has a legal right to use my last name. Why? It's my last name and she only had it becuase we were married. She did change her last name to her ex-husband's name when she was married. Please advise. And if there is something I can do to stop it, please let me know. Thank you!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

harley2b said:
What is the name of your state? Virginia
I want to know if my ex-wife can change her last name back to my name? We have been divorced for 10 years now and she has been re-married for those 10 years. She has recently divorced this other man and is changing her last name back to mine. I am re-married (happily) but I don't want her to be able to use my last name again. She says she has a legal right to use my last name. Why? It's my last name and she only had it becuase we were married. She did change her last name to her ex-husband's name when she was married. Please advise. And if there is something I can do to stop it, please let me know. Thank you!

My response:

Why? Do you have a copyright to "your" name?

Have you looked in the phone book recently? I'll bet there's more than a few people with the same last name as you! And, even if that wasn't the case, she has a legal right to call herself anything she likes, and there's not a damn thing you can do about it. How do you think all those people in the phone book got their names?

IAAL

F

frustr8ted26

She does have a legal right to take back your last name. You should consider yourself lucky that that's all she is doing, she could change her first name to yours too!! Sorry if that sounded sarcastic but there could be worse things in life. Go on with your happy marriage and forget about her.

H

harley2b

Well I Am Alwyas Liable.......such a rude comment to make, don't ya think. If you are male and are divorced then would you like it if your ex-wife took back your last name after having been married to another man for 10 years. I just wanted to know if it in fact was legal! That was all. BUT your smart ass comment was not necessary and made me realize why people are divorced. You remind me alot of her! Oh, and by the way my last name is the name I was born to, she wasn't born to my last name. And if you mean to tell me all the names in the book are from people who were born with that name, BS!!!!! You should change your name to "Jack Ass", you pathetic moron!

Thanks and don't waste your time responding because I will no longer use this site.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Of course it's legal. As long as it's not being done for purposes of fraud, anyone can change their name to anything they please. Hell, you could change your name to "Donald Trump" if you wanted to. Wouldn't make you a millionaire.

BelizeBreeze

harley2b said:
Well I Am Alwyas Liable.......such a rude comment to make, don't ya think. If you are male and are divorced then would you like it if your ex-wife took back your last name after having been married to another man for 10 years. I just wanted to know if it in fact was legal! That was all. BUT your smart ass comment was not necessary and made me realize why people are divorced. You remind me alot of her! Oh, and by the way my last name is the name I was born to, she wasn't born to my last name. And if you mean to tell me all the names in the book are from people who were born with that name, BS!!!!! You should change your name to "Jack Ass", you pathetic moron!

Thanks and don't waste your time responding because I will no longer use this site.
Want some cheese with that whine? What a waste of bandwidth :rolleyes:

nextwife

WTF difference does it make?

This was her name before the marriage, she is returning to it after. Has nothing to do with you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">