• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

About Marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amandad2008

What is the name of your state? N.C.
I was thinking about getting married with no prenup, that would not be bad for me to do, but is it considered adultery, or infidelity for a person that is married to be cheating on the internet on the person in court? Also if you get married in another state does the law apply for the state you live in or the state you get married in?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I was thinking about getting married with no prenup, that would not be bad for me to do, but is it considered adultery, or infidelity for a person that is married to be cheating on the internet on the person in court? Also if you get married in another state does the law apply for the state you live in or the state you get married in?
Adultery is sexual intercourse with someone not your spouse.

mistoffolees

Generally, adultery is having sexual intercourse with someone else while you're married. Cheating on the internet, while immoral, is not generally adultery, but check on the laws in your state.

Generally, the laws that apply will be the laws where you have established residency. That might very well change over your life time.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Generally, adultery is having sexual intercourse with someone else while you're married. Cheating on the internet, while immoral, is not generally adultery, but check on the laws in your state.

Generally, the laws that apply will be the laws where you have established residency. That might very well change over your life time.
Oh and just to clarify mine and Misty's posts -- sexual intercourse ALSO includes cunnilingus and fellatio and sodomy. Okay?

mistoffolees

Oh and just to clarify mine and Misty's posts -- sexual intercourse ALSO includes cunnilingus and fellatio and sodomy. Okay?
That is not correct.

In some states (perhaps many?), penetration is required. For example, see http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:4lJve3scPwwJ:www.nh.gov/judiciary/superior/superorders/collins3.pdf+adultery+defininition+"oral+sex"&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us&client=safari.

Also, according to Wikipedia (which may or may not be correct), a single act of intercourse may not be considered adultery in some states - it could require an ongoing relationship.

This is one of those cases where the variation between state laws is huge.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
That is not correct.

In some states (perhaps many?), penetration is required. For example, see http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:4lJve3scPwwJ:www.nh.gov/judiciary/superior/superorders/collins3.pdf+adultery+defininition+"oral+sex"&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us&client=safari.

Also, according to Wikipedia (which may or may not be correct), a single act of intercourse may not be considered adultery in some states - it could require an ongoing relationship.

This is one of those cases where the variation between state laws is huge.
Penetration happens with oral sex and sodomy. Now not necessarily VAGINAL penetration but there is still penetration. But I will definitely look at that link. For purely educational purposes of course.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
This is a NH case NOT NC where the OP is located.

Some courts have held that adultery occurs when aspouse enters into "a personal, intimate sexual relationship withany other person, irrespective of the specific sexual acts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Page 4
-4-performed, the marital status, or the gender of the third party."S.B. v. S.J.B., 609 A.2d 124, 127 (N.J.Super.Ch. 1992); see alsoRGM v. DEM, 410 S.E.2d 564, 567 (SC 1991) ("homosexual sexualactivity constitutes adultery"); Owens v. Owens, 274 S.E.2d 484,485-86 (Ga. 1981) ("both extramarital homosexual, as well asheterosexual, relations constitute adultery"); Menge v. Menge, 491So.2d 700, 702 (La.App. 1986) (oral sex can constitute adultery);Patin v. Patin, 371 So.2d 682, 683 (Fla.App. 1979) (suggestingthat extramarital homosexual activity is adultery).However,these decisions do not reflect the law in New Hampshire.RSA645:3 (1996) provides that a person is guilty of adultery "if,being a married person, he engages in sexual intercourse withanother not his spouse or, being unmarried, engages in sexualintercourse with another known by him to be married."(Emphasisadded.)Although this is a criminal statute, in the absence ofany indication the legislature intended a different definition toapply for purposes of divorce law, the court concludes that thisdefinition is controlling under RSA chapter 458."Sexual intercourse" is no where defined in New Hampshirestatutory law.A standard dictionary definition of "sexualintercourse" is "genital contact, esp. the insertion of the penisinto the vagina followed by orgasm; coitus; copulation."TheRandom House Dictionary of the English Language p. 1755 (2d ed.1987).Although this definition would arguably support the viewthat "sexual intercourse" can mean more than simply vaginal
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Page 5
-5-intercourse between a man and a woman,1other provisions of NewHampshire law evince a contrary legislative intent. RSA 632-A:1,V (Supp. 2000) defines the term "sexual penetration" in such afashion that it includes "sexual intercourse" as well as variousother sexual acts (i.e., cunnilingus, fellatio, anal intercourse,etc.).If the legislature understood that the term "sexualintercourse" included not only vaginal intercourse between a manand a woman but also all these other forms of sexual penetration,there would have been no need for this definitional section of thelaw to list all the types of sexual activity specified insubsections (b) through (f) of RSA 632-A:1, V.That thelegislature did find it necessary to list these other actssupports the view that the legislature intended the term "sexualintercourse" to cover only vaginal intercourse between a man and awoman.See Appeal of Derry Educ. Assoc., 138 N.H. 69, 71 (1993)("Basic statutory construction requires that all of the words of astatute must be given effect and that the legislature will not bepresumedtohaveusedsuperfluousorredundantwords.").Plaintiff may have a valid point that New Hampshire's adultery lawshould be updated to reflect present day realities concerning themore open expression of homosexual orientation, but this argumentmust be addressed to the legislature, not this court.Second, even assuming arguendo that homosexual "sexual1See also the definition from Webster's New CollegiateDictionary, quoted in Menge, 491 So.2d at 702.
Page 6
-6-penetration" would fit the legal definition of adultery, the courtfinds that the oral sex which the defendant engaged in withanother man over the Labor Day weekend 2000 was not the cause ofthe breakdown of the marriage.See Ebbert v. Ebbert, 123 N.H.252, 254 (1983) (adultery must be primary cause of the breakdownof the marriage for court to grant divorce on this grounds).Itis important at this point to draw a distinction between thedefendant's acknowledged status as a homosexual, on the one hand,and the specific sexual act he committed over Labor Day weekend,on the other.There is no doubt in this court's mind that thehomosexual feelings which the defendant has struggled with formany years was the cause of the breakdown of the marriage.Butunder New Hampshire law, such feelings or emotional yearnings arenot enough to constitute adultery. This would be true even whensuch feelings or yearnings are directed toward members of theopposite sex, and even if -- which is not the case here -- theyare directed toward a specific member of the opposite sex. Thus,the mere fact that a married man may have a strong emotionalattachment to, or romantic interest in, a particular woman otherthan his wife, does not constitute adultery.Although the proofmay be circumstantial,2in order to grant a divorce on the ground2Insofar as plaintiff suggests that Yergeau v. Yergeau,132 N.H. 659 (1990) and Jeanson v. Jeanson, 96 N.H. 308 (1950)stand for the proposition that there need be no "actual proof" ofthe sex act in order to sustain a finding of adultery, the courtdisagrees. What these cases hold is that there need be no directproof of adultery. But while circumstantial evidence of"opportunity and inclination" can be sufficient for the factfinder to infer that the adulterous act did indeed occur, the
Page 7
-7-of adultery it must be shown that the married person actuallyengaged in the act of sexual intercourse with a person other thanhis or her spouse, and that such act or acts was the cause of thebreakdown of the marriage.
And they are not saying tha tit is NOT adultery but that in order to grant a divorce on the grounds of adultery that this does NOT qualify. SO that raises the question -- why is OP asking about adultery? For what purpose?

mistoffolees

And they are not saying tha tit is NOT adultery but that in order to grant a divorce on the grounds of adultery that this does NOT qualify. SO that raises the question -- why is OP asking about adultery? For what purpose?
Actually, in many cases, 'sexual penetration' only implies if it involves vaginal penetration.

However, NC is fairly unusual in defining adultery as "North Carolina defines adultery as when any man and woman "lewdly and lasciviously associate, bed and cohabit together." (according to Wikipedia).

That definition would cover a wide range of things - including behavior which would not be adultery in most states -- which comes back to my statement that the definition of adultery varies greatly from state to state.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Actually, in many cases, 'sexual penetration' only implies if it involves vaginal penetration.

However, NC is fairly unusual in defining adultery as "North Carolina defines adultery as when any man and woman "lewdly and lasciviously associate, bed and cohabit together." (according to Wikipedia).

That definition would cover a wide range of things - including behavior which would not be adultery in most states -- which comes back to my statement that the definition of adultery varies greatly from state to state.
Wikipedia is REALLY NOT a good source.

Though if that is true then someone engaging in a homosexual extra marital liasion is not committing adultery.

mistoffolees

Wikipedia is REALLY NOT a good source.

Though if that is true then someone engaging in a homosexual extra marital liasion is not committing adultery.
That is correct in some states.

As I said, in NC, the definition is loose enough that heavy petting would probably be considered adultery, especially if it occurred in a hotel room or bed room. That settles the question the OP asked.

However, I was objecting to someone's blanket statement that any sexual act would be adultery. That's just not universally true. As already stated, NH law (see above) requires vaginal penetration. The military code does, as well. Or, you could check:
http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1O49-adultery.html
Massachusetts also requires vaginal penetration (particularly penile-vaginal penetration): http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=ma&vol=sjcslip/sjcMar04r&invol=1. Another reference says the same thing about Alabama law, but it did not cite a court case, so I've left it out.

I don't really care to search for all 50 states - that is sufficient to state that in some cases, oral sex would not be considered adultery. But, again, in NC it would which was the OP's question.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
That is correct in some states.

As I said, in NC, the definition is loose enough that heavy petting would probably be considered adultery, especially if it occurred in a hotel room or bed room. That settles the question the OP asked.

However, I was objecting to someone's blanket statement that any sexual act would be adultery. That's just not universally true. As already stated, NH law (see above) requires vaginal penetration. The military code does, as well. Or, you could check:
http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1O49-adultery.html
Massachusetts also requires vaginal penetration (particularly penile-vaginal penetration): http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=ma&vol=sjcslip/sjcMar04r&invol=1. Another reference says the same thing about Alabama law, but it did not cite a court case, so I've left it out.

I don't really care to search for all 50 states - that is sufficient to state that in some cases, oral sex would not be considered adultery. But, again, in NC it would which was the OP's question.
Thank you for that information. LOL. So I guess Clinton was correct -- it depends on what the definition of "is" is.

Perky

Actually, the OP's question was:
is it considered adultery, or infidelity for a person that is married to be cheating on the internet on the person in court?
So, her question was answered in the first couple of posts, unless talking dirty via webcam can be considered 'oral sex'. :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">