• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Absent Spouse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

happyme

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? My state is California. I have lived in California for 45 years. I am seeking my absent spouse in order to obtain a divorce. He lives in Virginia. We have been living separate for about 19 years and have not had any contact in about 12 years. I don't have an address to serve him nor do I know any of his relatives. I know he is in Virginia because in my search, I came across recent public criminal records of his. Would it be cheaper to hire a Private Investigator? Please advise me on the quick and most cost-efficient way to obtain a divorce.

Last edited:

CourtClerk

Depending on how long you've been here in CA, file in CA and serve him by publication. It's not cheap, you'll have to do a due diligence declaration for the order to serve by publication, but it is an option.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">