• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Absolutely Amazed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tiedandtwisted

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

I thought I was done but my exwife is at it again. Due to a poorly written PSA (dumbest idea I have ever had) She is taking me back to court for various reasons.
I spoke with the court to ask how to respond since I am Pro Se and no longer have enough money for a lawyer. If I want to ask for things then I should file a Motion also. My question is how do I word that I want the 50% of the contents of the marital home that was agreed upon or compensation for such (she took everything the day prior to closing)? How do I put an amount to this?
Is this reasonable or am I screwed? It would help against her Motion for medical and extracurricular bills.

Thanks!!

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

I thought I was done but my exwife is at it again. Due to a poorly written PSA (dumbest idea I have ever had) She is taking me back to court for various reasons.
I spoke with the court to ask how to respond since I am Pro Se and no longer have enough money for a lawyer. If I want to ask for things then I should file a Motion also. My question is how do I word that I want the 50% of the contents of the marital home that was agreed upon or compensation for such (she took everything the day prior to closing)? How do I put an amount to this?
Is this reasonable or am I screwed? It would help against her Motion for medical and extracurricular bills.

Thanks!!
The contents of the marital home would be valued at basically yard or estate sale prices...about 20% at most of what you paid for the items.

mistoffolees

The contents of the marital home would be valued at basically yard or estate sale prices...about 20% at most of what you paid for the items.
One way to do this is to use software like "It's Deductible" which comes with tax filing software. If you don't already have it or know someone who does, it's not terribly expensive.

They guarantee that their prices will be upheld in the event of an IRS audit, so you could argue in court that these are reasonable prices. It's certainly a lot less trouble than going around to 1,000 garage sales to see what things are going for.

The downside (or upside, depending on which side you're on) is that, IMHO, these prices tend to be on the high side. So if you're the one paying for the items, the price might be high. If you're the one being paid, they would be great.

That said, the prices are legally defensible (at least wrt IRS tax deductions), so it's probably your best bet for coming up with prices on a large number of items.

Alternatively, rather than going to garage sales, try Craigslist or eBay prices for similar items.

LdiJ

One way to do this is to use software like "It's Deductible" which comes with tax filing software. If you don't already have it or know someone who does, it's not terribly expensive.

They guarantee that their prices will be upheld in the event of an IRS audit, so you could argue in court that these are reasonable prices. It's certainly a lot less trouble than going around to 1,000 garage sales to see what things are going for.

The downside (or upside, depending on which side you're on) is that, IMHO, these prices tend to be on the high side. So if you're the one paying for the items, the price might be high. If you're the one being paid, they would be great.

That said, the prices are legally defensible (at least wrt IRS tax deductions), so it's probably your best bet for coming up with prices on a large number of items.

Alternatively, rather than going to garage sales, try Craigslist or eBay prices for similar items.
That same information is available on the irs.gov website. Its not necessary to buy a program. See IRS publications 561 and 526

tiedandtwisted

thanks

Thanks, I guess I have a lot of remembering to do since i have to file the counter motion by midweek
Thanks again Hopefully the judge will have pity on me to grant me something

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">